2.1

2003 Mercury Mountaineer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mercury Mountaineer:

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 152009

Mountaineer

I have a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer and it has a crack on the liftgate that starts at the top in the middle, goes around the Mercury emblem and continues down to the bottom of the liftgate. I am worried that the glass will fall out or break one day when I hit a bump or close the tailgate. Or will the glass shatter when I hit a bump or close it?

- Federal Way, WA, USA

Jul 012009

Mountaineer

I have a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer and the liftgate has cracked around the Mercury emblem. I have seen several other Mountaineer with exact same cracking around emblem. This makes me wonder if panel could fail causing glass to fall out. Since this problem has been reported in numerous websites, is there going to be a recall to fix this problem. It is obviously a defect or this problem would not be rampant.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Aug 012008

Mountaineer

I am having an issue with my hatchback. The emblem has a long and large crack on the left side of the emblem. I have noticed that there are several 2003 Mountaineer with the same issue. I am afraid that the crack will cause the glass to break. I noticed when I bought the vehicle the dealership tried to repair the issue once therefore I felt that I should advise/complain about the failure to see if a recall or a bulletin would be placed on the vehicle to repair the issue with no recourse or recurring issue. I am not sure why this issue is occurring but I would like for this issue to be repaired at not cost to me because again I have found many Mountaineer with the same issue and all have been 2003 so far. Please investigate and assist Ford/Mercury to produce a solution to the issue.

- Spring Hill, TN, USA

Jun 012008

Mountaineer

The failure is for a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer. The failure is a crack in the lift gate that occurs right alongside the Mercury emblem or logo on the back of the tailgate or lift gate. This crack has been reported numerous times here and in online forums. To me seems like a deficiency or a defect in the material that makes up this panel that is a part of the lift gate glass and the tailgate as a unit¿.. I would also like to add that the 2002-2006 Mercury Mountaineer and the Ford Explorer share this same tailgate with the same problem. Mercury and Ford are solely to blame for producing this faulty part of the tailgate or lift gate and should step up and recall them¿.. I noticed my failure or crack in June of 2008 with less than 60K miles on it. I am an original owner since 2003. A big concern is safety, someone walking by the SUV and getting cut on the sharp plastic, just looking at the crack is disturbing. Here in southern ca. Fairway Ford wants $425 and cerritos Ford Lincoln Mercury wants $625 to fix the same problem¿.. I was made aware of this problem in 2004. We were picking up the SUV after having the rear glass hinges replaced per the recall. At that time the service writer at villa Ford told me, try not to push on the emblem to close the glass, the panel will crack in time¿.. (1.) I wonder how many of these panels were replaced under warranty due to the crack? (2.) why Ford or Mercury never disclosed the problem? I did call Mercury, they took the complaint and said they would put it on the NHTSA web site, but they never did¿¿¿¿¿¿

- Placentia, CA, USA