2005 Mercury Mountaineer drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mercury Mountaineer:

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Oct 012015

While driving 50 mph vehicle stalled three times. Took it to a garage, was told it was necessary to have the vehicle when it stalled. Found eleven (11) similar complaints on your site! perhaps there is some validity to the complaints. All parts of the vehicle related to safe driving were rendered useless. Sounds like a safety issue to me!

- Indiana, PA, USA

Oct 152012

Two problems...first whenever I shift into reverse there is a hesitation and it takes longer than it should to reverse. Im also experiencing a jerk before I come to a complete stop. Second..the back of my lift has a crack from the bottom of the window to the Mercury symbol and then it continues down under the symbol. I've done some research and there re lots of others with these same issues. I only have about 70000 miles on it.

- Phila, PA, USA

Dec 242010

Automatic transmission- this transmission is horrible a few times I noticed the severe noise and jerk when I went to reverse. I thought perhaps it was me. On christmas eve I went to pull away from stop light and car started to accelerate then slowed down I gave it a little gas and it jerked me so hard it hurt my neck (which is still bothering me today). The od light came on and check transmission. Repair cost $2,7000, basically everything went bad. After hearing from numerous people this is a problem that Ford is aware of. They even went so far as to correct it for future models but has yet to perform a recall on 2005 Mountaineer and Explorer. As Ford was aware of this problem corrected it for future models they should be liable and a recall notice should be forthcoming. Anyone who has experienced this should get full refund of monies paid. Now to address the cracking around the Mercury emblem on the lift gate. Ford is aware of this problem and has changed it for future models, but instead of stepping up and correcting pass models they sweep it under the rug. A full investigation into both of these concerns as with transmissions someone could easily be fatally injured.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Apr 012009

Mercury Mountaineer 05 with less then 60,000 miles, I was told that there was wearing in the valve case from automatic transmission which causes transmission to skip and shift hard and pop forward, I need to have it repaired, transmission place states this is a known problem which has a technical advisory about it....what's my recourse.

- Merrick, NY, USA

Apr 022009

I was in the park position. I turned my engine on and placed my foot on the brake and take my car out of park, when then gear shaft/stick broke in half. I contacted the dealer and I had them come get the car, they contacted me, and stated "that they have never seen something like this before", that came from the service manager bill amadei, and another person bill in the service department. I have taken a picture of what it looks like. If I was not already in the park position and I went to place my car from the drive to park and this happened, my car could have went right into my house. When I stated this to the dealer, his comment was "yes, I guess that could have happened."

- Cape May, NJ, USA