2008 Mercury Mountaineer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercury Mountaineer:

2008 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 102012

Mountaineer 6-cyl

Purchased a used 2008 Mercury Mountaineer almost a year ago, in approx Oct 2012 the driver's seat started moving back and forth while driving. When the seat moved back it was almost so far back I couldn't hold onto steering wheel or keep foot on brake pedal. Took vehicle to mccoy mills Ford and they could not duplicate occurrence. Since that date this has happened multiple times and I figured out it has something to do with the ignition switch. If the car gets any minor jolt as in riding on rough street or going over speed bump, ignition apparently shift which triggers something in the sensor and off you go. Most recent occurrence was on 12/11/2012 while driving through a local walmart parking lot; slowly went over speed bump and seat started moving on its own. Since the occurrences are becoming more frequent decided to take care back in now that I know it has something to do with ignition switch. Called Ford customer care center and spoke to a rep who stated they didn't have any recalls for such a matter and my bumper-to-bumper had expired so I would have to incur cost to repair. Went back to mccoy mills Ford was told that the keysense would need to be replaced and cost would be $390 - $400+. this should really be a recall item, especially after reading the number of postings on this site for the same thing.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Jul 022012

Mountaineer

Driver seat moves back to the "easy exit" position while driving! had to manually move the seat up with the side controls in order to reach the pedals again. Could not reach the brake! dealer replaced ignition key tumbler, same problem dealer replaced ignition electrical switch, solution pending. This should be a recall as it is a major safety issue!!!

- West Babylon, NY, USA

May 012012

Mountaineer

Our 2008 Mountaineer is equipped with power seats with settings memory. Normally, when you turn the engine off and open any of the doors, the driver's seat automatically glides in reverse to the fullest extent to allow for more room to exit the car. When the seat glides backwards, the step bar on the outside of the car automatically drops down and outward. For an unknown reason, the driver's seat (randomly) automatically glides backwards to fullest extent and the step bar automatically drops down as though the engine has been turned off and one of the doors has been opened. It happens just about everyday at least once. It happened 6 times in a 4 minute time period the other day. Each time it immediately went back to its original position. The first time it happened, my wife was driving on the freeway at 65 mph. The first time it happened to me was when I was starting to make a right turn. I ended up 2' over in the oncoming traffic lane. Luckily, no cars were near. This problem could have dire consequences.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Nov 012011

Mountaineer

The contact owns a 2008 Mercury Mountaineer. The contact stated that the driver seat would move backward and the interior lights remained illuminated while driving. The failure continued numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who replaced the battery, but the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 45,000 and the current mileage was 51,000. Updated 04/23/12

- New Castle , DE, USA

Jan 082011

Mountaineer

While driving, the driver's side dome light came on and the seat moved all the way back. Now, when you start the car, the seat will move all the way back and has to be manually, with power button, put into a comfortable position for driving. The seat continues to move back by itself at random times. Many times the problem occurs when driving, even at 30 mph or less, over a bump in the road.

- Bondsville, MA, USA

Nov 242008

Mountaineer

The contact owns a 2008 Mercury Mountaineer. When the contact started the ignition, the dome light illuminated unexpectedly. The failure occurred intermittently and the dome light would not dim automatically. Whenever the vehicle was in operation, the dome light would illuminate and the front driver's easy-access seat retracted without warning. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing and they stated that the failure was related to the to keyless entry module. The vehicle was repaired under the service warranty; however, it was insufficient. On a separate occasion, the failure recurred. The contact was involved in a minor crash, which may have been caused by the vehicle's malfunctions. There were no injuries. The vehicle is in the process of being taken back to the authorized dealer for repair. The failure mileage was 16,000 and current mileage was 17,500.

- Westford, MA, USA

Dec 142008

Mountaineer

While coming up to a red light, the vehicle started making a clunking noise and the brake pedal went to the floor when I tried to stop for the red light. I also lost power steering. Luckily, I finally got the SUV to stop after I pumped the brakes and I was able to avoid hitting the car in front of me. I was close to my home so I slowly drove to my house using the emergency brake to stop if necessary. I contacted Mercury who towed the SUV to their shop the next day on the 15th of December. They have had the vehicle all day on the 15th and 16th and told me that I could pick it up on the 17th. They couldn't, however. Find anything wrong with the vehicle and said the computers say everything is fine. They claim there is nothing wrong and are giving me the vehicle back.

- Ocala, FL, USA