NHTSA — Steering: Linkages: Tie Rod Assembly Problems

1998 Mercury Sable steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Mercury Sable:

1998 Mercury Sable Owner Comments

Jun 011999

My car made a low roaring noise from the rear end after about 3 months, since the first incident didn't occur again for a few weeks I didn't worry about it, however, after I had it for about 6 months the noise got worse and I was told I needed new brake pads, these were installed the same day, a few weeks later the same noise occurred again and this time I was told I needed new tie rod ends, these were installed that day, then it was my brake pads later it was the rotors, brake pads and shoes, I still have the noise in the rear of the car and now my brakes are still not right, I came down a hill last week and when I hit my brakes there were none, the dealer is saying it is the fact that I drive a lot Ford Motor Co is saying they aren't responsible and bud shell is saying it is my fault can you help me I have had this car in the shop for this same problem about 10 times since Sept 1999 I am afraid that my brakes will fail me again in a more dangerous situation than the last time.

- Harviell, MO, USA