Rear Coil Springs Fractured And Broke Puncturing Tire

1. replaced spring and tire (2 reports)
2001 Mercury Sable suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Mercury Sable:

2001 Mercury Sable Owner Comments

Oct 292010

Sable LS 3.0L

This appears to be an ongoing problem to this date. Many of these cars are still going strong, with drivers being endangered. I knew of this situation over 10 years ago, before a recall or investigation was ongoing. The 2000 Taurus had 145000 miles, the driver narrowly avoided a head on collision when the spring broke and blew the driver's side front tire. This Sable in my possession, has had the rears replaced (at owner's expense by a Mercury dealer while campaign was ongoing). The left front recently broke when sitting in the driveway. I can't imagine the distress on my sister-in-law if she would have been driving this, her first car. If this isn't an all out safety issue, then I don't know what is. I see the recall that Ford issued in '05 only covered a 10 year span. This car now doesn't fall into the recall status. I currently own a '95 Dodge Intrepid, and this car is miles ahead with the same suspension under it. I have never seen a spring failure on any LH car ever, front or rear. I'll inevitably be replacing the front springs with MOOG coils, as I don't have any trust in Ford parts.

- , Coon Rapids, MN, USA

May 012012

Could have caused a major accident if it would have happened on a highway

- , Marshfield, MO, USA