2002 Mercury Sable accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mercury Sable:

2002 Mercury Sable Owner Comments

Aug 172015

Sable GS

I'm not terribly concerned with aesthetics, so this issue was not terribly bothersome, however I feel it important to note it in the event it affects someone else's opinion.

The interior of the Sable GS I purchased was immaculate. It was owned by an old couple and only driven for short intervals over the 13 years they owned it. I bought it at about 75K miles.

I was dropping a relative off at the airport on a VERY windy day - I'd say roughly 40mph winds. They opened up the rear passenger door to put their bag on the seat and the wind literally ripped the door panel fabric (to the rear of the door handle) out of the panel.

Not being one to fuss, I took one of those rewards cards that can be put onto a keychain and used the narrow end to push the fabric back into the panel. It took a little muscle, as the gap to push the fabric into is extremely narrow, however I was able to push all of the pleather-like fabric back into place. No issues since.

- , Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Mar 012009

I bought this as a used car in immaculate shape, but as the door panel fabric squares (I say plural) started coming off I noticed that they had been repaired before. I now have three doors missing this same square of fabric that was obviously not trimmed large enough to have excess behind the panel so that it would not pull out over time. If I could put the piece back on it would have to be stretched and would end up pulling out again as there is insufficient pressure to hold the too small fabric in the door.

VERY POORLY UPHOLSTERED (almost as if Ford wanted to save money by cutting as small a piece of fabric as they could get away with, I mean hey, it's not like they will have to do a recall for shoddily done upholstery, right?) . I could see one coming loose if the car was beat up and ill used but this car is in great shape and was very well cared for by previous owner as well as myself, and 3 doors are suffering from the very same problem, same piece of fabric on every door. I'm expecting the fourth to come off at any time.

- , Springdale, AR, USA

Dec 262009

Sable LS

Take a Huntington Beach, CA city car to the Minnesota North Shore you can expect issues:

Further evidence it's not going to make it here and stay perdy. This fancy LS model had under 15,000 when it arrived. The fabulous interior suffered when it hit 30 below zero last December. The fabric covering the molding on the passenger door pulled away from its adhesive. I'm not sure what product or how it should be replace. I'll have to get a picture to post on this one.

- , Finland, MN, USA