2002 Mercury Sable drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mercury Sable:

2002 Mercury Sable Owner Comments

May 252016

The transmission froze up breaking the axle right off as I pulled out of a drive way onto the street with on coming traffic.

- West Allis, WI, USA

Aug 082012

Sable 6-cyl

This mechanical problem has happened two times. The first time was at approximately 120,000 miles.the car is always serviced, well maintained and runs terrific. I was driving for about 30 minutes on the parkway. Suddenly I experienced the car sticking like it was choking, losing power and then surging ahead. I was shocked, continued to drive and it eventually cleared itself. I have never had any other symptoms or incidents like this in the past. I thought it might be a clogged fuel injector so I immediately added some fuel injector cleaner. I brought the car to my mechanic the next morning but he couldn't find anything wrong with the car. The second time it happened was about 3 - 4 weeks later and I called the mechanic again. We only found a small transmission leak but nothing else. I happened to mention the incidents to a mechanic friend of mine at work and he told me it sounded like the throttle. He said he also thought there was a recall on my car. I believe this is a potentially very dangerous issue and need the dealer and the NHTSA to advise if there is a recall! if there isn't then there should be one. Please advise.

- Garden City , NY, USA

Jul 012012

Sable 6-cyl

My daughter had just merged onto the highway going approximately 65mph. Initially it felt difficult to get the car up to speed. She noticed she was edging up on the vehicle in front of her and took her foot off the accelerator to slow down but instead the car sped up. She applied the brakes which did not slow the car down. She applied pressure to the accelerator in an attempt to "unstick" it which had no effect on the speed of the car. She then attempted to apply the brakes further at which time the brakes began smoking. The car had reached 90mph at this point and was shaking. While continuing to keep her foot on the brakes, she was able to pull into the breakdown lane and put the car into neutral but the vehicle only slowed down minimally at which time she put the car into park. The vehicle then stopped but she kept her foot on the brake because the engine continued to rev between 3,000 - 4,000 rpms and she could feel resistance as if the car wanted to continue to move forward despite being in park. At that time she shut off the engine and called for assistance. When my husband and I arrived on scene my husband verified that the accelerator was not stuck on anything, such as a floor mat. Once he saw that the accelerator appeared to be in a normal position he started the vehicle and immediately the engine was reving with rpms again between 3,000 - 4,000. The engine was again shut off and the vehicle was towed to the local Ford dealership.

- Holyoke, MA, USA

Apr 132010

Had tuneup. [plugs and wires] computer upgrade. Car now surges and idle jumps to 2000 RPM. Hit a car in front of me at stop light, and almost a person in walk, when surged. Am shifting to neutral at stops, but, it snaps your neck when you shift back to drive. Have had to 2 dif Ford & mec. Dealers several times and only get nothing!! help please.

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Jan 062008

Hit the brakes while driving and the engine revs up. Multiple times to dealer and still not fixed- I requested a new computer or brain for the car while under extended warranty- no go from dealer. On snow this is very scary-on wet roads in Florida I put it in neutral and the engine revs when I hit the brakes-when someone gets hit and killed I will be told I should have told someone -multiple drivers and people have been with me when this has occurred- including mechanics from a Lincoln Mercury dealer in orchard park NY.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Jul 262008

The contact owns a 2002 Mercury Sable. The contact stated that the brake lights stopped working and the gear shifter failed. He referenced NHTSA campaign id number 04V106000 (exterior lighting:brake lights:switch). The dealer stated that the brake switch and wiring harness were faulty. They would not repair the vehicle according to the recall because his VIN was not included. The contact was informed that he would have to pay for the repairs. The failure mileage was 64,000.

- East Point, MI, USA