2.3

2004 Mercury Sable brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercury Sable:

2004 Mercury Sable Owner Comments

Oct 182016

Sable

The brake light switch failed causing inability to get shift lever out of park mode. Brake lights stay on all the time or not come on at all. The problem was noted after parking in our garage and noticing the brake lights being on all the time. I discovered that turning the ignition switch to first indent that the shift lever can be placed in the neutral mode so engine can be started. In driving the car, the brake lights do not work. When stopping the car and shifting to the park mode, the shift lever cannot be taken out of the park mode without going through the sequence described above. There was a recall to repair this on the 2000-2004 Sable (reference 04V106000), but Ford tells me the 2004 Sable are not under recall although the 2004 models use the same defective brake light switch causing the exact problems as the 2000-2003 models.

- Arab, AL, USA

Apr 012016

Sable

I contacted ken grody Ford in buena park, ca 2-3 months ago to ask if there were any recalls on my car? the manager I spoke with told me "no!" he also mailed me a copy of his "oasis" search which showed no recalls! help! M. levonius, po box 1985, monrovia, ca 91017 (626) 487-8950 please mail me recall alerts on my car!

- Monrovia, CA, USA

Mar 012014

Sable

Car will not come out of park, nor will brake lights operate when pedal depressed. Exact symptoms as described in previous model year recalls. Only wayto get car out of park is to place in neutral after turning key in ignition to first avaialble position, then applying brake pedal to release shift lock. This is a recurring problem w/ a failed brake light switch assembly. It's too dangerous of a problem to not have a recall. Many other model vehicles have been recalled for the same exact problem. Why not this model?

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Dec 162014

Sable 6-cyl

The car will not come out of park, nor do the brake lights work and sometimes the brake lights stay on. There was a recall for this very issue. Recall #04S12 or 04V106000. However the recall stops at 2003. My vehicle has the same defective switch in it but Ford is refusing to replace it. They claim my vehicle was made a few days after the recall stopped. Well that doesn't make my brake pedal switch any safer. I'm being handed a line of crap by Ford. They installed a defective switch and have admitted its defective and wont fix mine because of a manufacture date. What court wouldn't prosecute Ford if I have a serious accident because of this defective switch that they know is defective but refuse to fix it.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Dec 062014

Sable 6-cyl

Car will not come out of park, nor will brake lights operate when pedal depressed. Exact symptoms as described in previous model year recalls. Only wayto get car out of park is to place in neutral after turning key in ignition to first available position, then applying brake pedal to release shift lock.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Nov 262013

Sable 6-cyl

I received a panicked phone call from my 16 year old daughter after a life threatening experience. She was driving at 35 mph when the car began to accelerate on it's own, the engine raced to 4,000 RPM and stayed there, while she frantically pressed the brake. Thankfully she was able to contain control of the vehicle as she pulled off it the road. She immediately turned off the engine, after waiting a few minutes she started the car, again it raced to 4,000 RPM. After trying this multiple times I had the car towed home. A call to Ford verified there has been no recalls or recall work done on this vehicle. I researched this issue online, to my amazement there are many people who have experienced this same issue.in fear for my child and anyone else who might drive this vehicle I have removed it from use, and feel stuck with unsafe vehicle. I am highly disappointed in the lack of response/resolve from the manufacture.

- Southgate, MI, USA

Jan 182013

Sable 6-cyl

Brake light switch at pedal faulty with same symptoms as recall NHTSA I.D. # 04V10600...brake lights won't activate when pedal depressed while driving or parked and when parked transmission range selector is stuck in park position. These symptoms could cause an accident from the rear and or leave family members stranded. Curiously this recall doesn't list the recalled switches part number and certainly Ford motors won't admit that a few were installed on 2004 models.

- Liberty Township, OH, USA