NHTSA — Engine And Engine Cooling Problems

2004 Mercury Sable engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercury Sable:

2004 Mercury Sable Owner Comments

May 252013

Sable 6-cyl

While driving and I go over 50 mph my car will speed up which cause the throttle cable to come apart an D the engine or transmission speeds up.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 292008

While driving to work, I smelled burning plastic. I rolled up the window thinking it was another vehicle. A few minutes later I noticed an odd melting look on the rear windshield, and a stronger burning plastic smell. Immediately I turned off the rear defrost, and cracked the window to let the fumes escape. Approximately a mile later (while driving 70 mph) the rear windshield exploded. The glass initially stayed intact, but prior to me driving to the closest dealership (3 miles from that point), the shards began falling into the back seat of the vehicle. I am grateful there was no one in the back seat.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA