4.0

1998 Mercury Tracer transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Mercury Tracer:

1998 Mercury Tracer Owner Comments

Jul 012000

Tracer 2.0L 4l

I noticed this problem just after we bought the car. The torque converter locks in and out when ever press or depress the gas pedal. I took it to transmission repair shop and had a technician go with me on a test drive he said it was normal. The tranny burned up at a 110,000 miles. I do not believe this is how it should work. I was thought that the torque converter will lock up over a certain speed and unlock below that speed or when up over the lock up speed when you hit the brakes.

- , Rigby, ID, USA