3.4

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer:

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Owner Comments

Jul 152016

Lancer

The contact owns a 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer. While driving approximately 45 mph, the headlights failed intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the ECU needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V232000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Coplay, PA, USA

May 012015

Lancer

The contact owns a 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle, the blower failed and the front wind shield could not be defrosted. The contact also indicated that while idling, the engine rpms would fluctuate and the engine would appear to be stalling. In addition, the vehicle would not accelerate properly from a standing start. The cause of the failures were not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Loma Linde, CA, USA

Aug 112015

Lancer

I took my vehicle into cutrubus Mitsubishi dealer in layton, ut to have my car maintenanced for recalled parts on 11 August 2015, which was the earliest appointment they had available after recall notification. Took vehicle in at 08:00 and the service department stated that the car could not be determined if it was one of the defected vehicles until 12:00 that day. When asked if I could get a loan vehicle in order to go back to work, cutrubus dealer denied. They also stated if my car had the defective parts it could take 48 hours to fix my vehicle and still denied a loaner vehicle. I could not leave my car to have the safety recall fixed due to being active duty in the air force and being a single parent, I can not go without a vehicle. The manager was notified and I spoke with Mitsubishi manufacturer and they stated they are not responsible for supplying a loaner vehicle but it would be up to the dealership if they wanted to or not. I have concerns since this is a safety recall.

- Hill Afb , UT, USA

Sep 112014

Lancer

The contact owns a 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V532000 (engine) and 15V232000 (electrical system); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The VIN was unavailable. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Humacao, PR, USA

Sep 302014

Lancer 4-cyl

Shortly after starting the engine; take a turn left and then made; I turn on the ABS light shortly after engine light lit too and, days later, the ABS light went out. The next day I started the engine; running the car at 15 to 35 miles, sounds a hit; in the transmission and ABS light comes on again. This has been doing so far.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

Jan 052011

Lancer 4-cyl

As im driving down the highway 95 or I4, my car in the odemeter area prompts the car to slow down on the car slows down on the highway until it stops. This is very dangerous as it slows down traffic when diving on the highway. This car then have to cool down for 20 mintues. This car can not drive in traffic for no more than two hours then it slows down and stop.

- South Daytona , FL, USA

Aug 132013

Lancer 4-cyl

I was driving northbound on the ca is-15 North at approximately 5:55 pm pst between the exits of 138/wrightwood and the route 395/joshua street exit. I was traveling in the fast lane going about 68-72 mph. I got a "service required" error light flashing, then the "slow down" light came on with a picture of a thermometer. I checked the temperature gauge (which is displayed on the led screen by the speedometer, not the usual independent gauge) and the temperature showed that it was right in the middle, which should be working great. I slowed down to 50 mph as I merged from the #1 (fast) lane to the slow lane by the road shoulder and my engine lost power. Luckily I had enough power to get over to the should before the usual line of semi-trucks blew past me. I checked the coolant, oil, and ctv trans fluid levels, all were at capacity. This is the second time that I had experienced this issue. The first time was this same time last year (August, 2012). I had bought the car used in July 2012. The first time this occurred the dealership (victorville Mitsubishi) fixed it under tsb 10-23-005. At that point the car only had 46,000 miles on it. I plan to take the car back into the dealer this Saturday, provided I can make it back up the hill today and tomorrow. This is a really serious problem and I hope it becomes an official recall. Luckily I wasn't run off the road or rear ended and killed with the loss of power issue due to the faulty sensor.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Jan 112013

Lancer

I have an 09 Mitsubishi Lancer ES sport with the sun and sound package. The amplifier, which is under my drivers side seat, for the sound system started smoking and sparking. I took it to the dealership, who replaced it, and a week ago, while I was driving, it started smoking and sparking again, but stops when you power off the radio, if the power is on in the radio, it continues to smoke and spark. I believe there may be a wiring defect in my car that is causing this to happen and fear that if it continues my car may eventually catch on fire. Dealer will not look at it again unless I pay $120 initial fee.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Oct 022011

Lancer

The contact owns a 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer. The contact stated that the electronic key system failed and the key could not be inserted into the ignition switch. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failure and the dealer reprogrammed the key computer system, but the failure was not corrected. The failure mileage was 55,000 and the current mileage was 56,000.

- San Bernardino , CA, USA

Dec 272010

Lancer 4-cyl

I have an 09 Mitsubishi Lancer ES sport with the sun and sound package. The amplifier, which is under my drivers side seat, for the soundsystem started smoking and sparking. I took it to the dealership, who replaced it a month ago, and a week ago, while I was driving, it started smoking and sparking again, but stops when you power off the radio, if the power is on in the radio, it continues to smoke and spark. I believe there may be a wiring defect in my car that is causing this to happen and fear that if it continues my car may eventually catch on fire.

- Evans City, PA, USA

Apr 142010

Lancer

I was driving down the road and heard a pop noise. Smoke came rolling out from underneath my front drivers side seat. I stopped and looked, but found no fire. Now the speakers do not work and the box underneath my seat smells like smoke. There was no fire, but definitely could have been.

- Evans City, PA, USA

Apr 012009

Lancer

I've had my 09 Lancer since July of 2008. I haven't had any problems up until recently. For about the past month now, on four occasions, usually in the morning, when I go to start my car it just wont start. It makes the same sound as if my car was to start, but just doesn't. so I have to wait and keep trying to get it to start. I brought it to the dealership where I purchased it (girard Mitsubishi) on 4/1/09 and the mechanic had said he ran it through the computer and couldn't find anything wrong with it.

- Wauregan, CT, USA