2007 Mitsubishi Outlander suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander:

2007 Mitsubishi Outlander Owner Comments

Mar 202013

Vehicle soon to be recalled for front cross member corrosion. However, my vehicle experienced a failure of front and rear struts, front and rear stabilizer bar bushings and links (and shock absorbers) in early 2013. Car had been "bottoming out" over road bumps and had been used in Maine from 2007 - 2011, then in NJ afterward. Replaced Mitsubishi parts include: MN101368, 4056A079, 4156A014, MN184194, 4156A028, 4060A173, 4060A174, MN101372, MR272946, 4162A050, MR491946. (link-front suspension stabilizer, bushing-front suspension stabilizer, link-rear suspension stabilizer, bushing-rear suspension stabilizer, struts, front suspension, insulator-front suspension, bearing- front suspension str, shock absorbers- rear, insulator - rear shock. Many of these components are in the general area of the proposed recall. In addition, this vehicle had a front engine mount fail already too (in 2016). There are only 79,000 miles on the car currently, and were 59,000 at the time of the 2013 repair.

- Hawthorne, NJ, USA

Aug 262016

The contact owns a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V458000 (suspension); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Aug 192016

The contact owns a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V458000 (suspension); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Ipswich, MA, USA

Aug 122016

The contact owns a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V458000 (suspension); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Bridgeport, CT, USA

Aug 092016

I was leaving work and about to get onto the freeway when all of a sudden my car jerked and swerved off the road. I had it towed to a nearby mechanic and he could not believe what he seen. The front control arm was completely rusted and snapped. There is a recall for this on my same exact car, year and everything but Mitsubishi said no recall on my VIN #. which makes no sense to me cause it is doing the exact same thing as the ones with a recall. The mechanic said I was lucky to not be on the freeway yet when this happened cause I could be dead. Mitsubishi is taking no responsibility for this and I just forked out $1500 to have this fixed. I am contacting the local news to make other people aware of this rust problem.

- Lindstrom, MN, USA

Jul 152016

I was driving at approximately 5mph braking to take a left hand turn when I heard a loud clunk and came to an abrupt stop. After existing the vehicle it appears my front suspension had snapped and my drivers side tire was pushed into the quarter panel hindering my drivers side door and my passenger tire was pointing to the right. After getting it towed to the nearest auto body place, I was informed that the front sub frame snapped due to rust. I am the original owner who has performed all maintenance items, it has been garage kept for 7 out of the 9 years of owning the vehicle. I would hate to see how fast this vehicle would have failed if I did not perform any maintenance on it. What is very troubling is the car is only 9 years old and the night before I was traveling on the highway at 70mph with my 4 kids in the vehicle. If this would have snapped on the highway we would have been lucky to survive because I had zero steering capabilities.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Oct 222015

Left front coil spring shattered in 2 places at 101K, which is well within the 120K/9 year coverage extension in tsb-14-33-002. Mitsubishi would not reimburse as the repair was not made at a dealership. I explained the car was virtually un-driveable and had no choice but to go to a local repair facility (nearest dealer over 15 miles away). The response I was given was that I should have had the car inspected at a dealership prior to the spring breaking, and that I should always be checking for recalls and tsb's relative to my vehicle. Typical to blame the consumer.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Jan 042016

While inspecting vehicle, discovered rotted front crossmember (driver side, metal forming part may have been improperly stamped resulting in the metal becoming thinner and rust it very fast ), which can fail any time involving other steering components to separate of the frame which may result in the loss of steering control and leading it to a big crash or fatal accident. There were few complains on this site, regarding same problems on a different Mitsubishi models and also recall NHTSA campaign id no.: 06V334000 for 2007 Mitsubishi eclipse affecting 1516 cars. As much as Mitsubishi uses same suspension components for different models other Mitsubishi vehicles may have same issues. My Mitsubishi Outlander 2007 was repaired at Mitsubishi dealership about month ago. During repair on front suspension (front shocks, coil springs and stabilizers were replaced because extended warranty) but I wasn't told about other even worse problems. See photos.

- Woodridge, IL, USA

Jul 052015

When operating said vehicle, there was a loud bang from the left front. Upon inspection, it was determined the left front spring had cracked. Vehicle had to be towed to nearest shop for repair. We later found out there was warranty extension for this part. However we were not notified by Mitsubishi of this known defect. We contacted Mitsubishi numerous times seeking reimbursement since part failed under warranty. They refused to pay. We met all of the rules as specified under the warranty extension notice. Mitsubishi failed to pay for this known failed part. I tried several times to determine why we were not notified of this issue. Mitsubishi offered no help.

- Ambler, PA, USA

Jul 032015

I was leaving work when I heard a loud bang come from the front end. I pulled over and could see the front coil spring on my drivers side was broken. I parked it until I could figure out what needed to be done. I found out that Mitsubishi extended the warranty to 120000 miles I had 123995. I called the Mitsubishi parts department near my area and they had a set, I told them I wanted to find out if Mitsubishi would honor the warranty since the mileage was so close, before I paid for them. It took Mitsubishi a couple of days to get back to me. They told me they wouldn't do anything about it. I asked if they would pay for the springs and I would do the labor myself, they told me no. I called the parts department back they had already sold the ones they had in stock. It seems to be a common problem because they had to order them and they were on back order (it took 2 weeks to get them). When the parts finally came in I got both front springs because I was told you should replace both at the same time. It was a good thing I ordered them both because the day I went to install them, I looked and noticed the passenger side had broken while the car was just sitting there and the crazy thing is both springs had broken in the exact same place. Mitsubishi must have a data base and knows pretty close to when the springs are going to break and made the warranty just shy of when they would break. I just seems the odds of both springs breaking at almost the exact same time is astronomical. I kept the springs in case anybody needs to see them. I also looked on line and found quite a lot of complaints about the same problem all over the usa and Canada and doesn't seem to matter if it's in a cold or warm state. Most all of the complaints were after the extended warranty had expired. Mitsubishi should do a recall because it could cause an accident if it happens at a high rate of speed.

- Sherrodsville, OH, USA

Mar 142015

The contact owns a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander. While driving at 5 mph, the contact heard a noise coming from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the front coil spring, struts, and sway bar links were fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,789.

- Colchester, CT, USA

Apr 202015

Outlander 6-cyl

The yoke that is part of the frame that holds up the front steering assembly rusted through and does not support the steering assembly the way it should. The car is only 7-1/2 years old and this should not have failed. There were only two replacements to be found in the country. One was a used one from the"South" somewhere, and the second a new one from a Mitsubishi warehouse in California. The estimate for repair is about $1400. The dealer I purchased the car from was no help. It seems that since there are very few replacement parts in the U.S. this may be a wide spread problem for these vehicle. The replacement part is used on several model years of this vehicle.

- Garfield Hts, OH, USA

Jan 092015

Outlander 6-cyl

In April 2014 Mitsubishi sent out a service bulletin tsb-14-33-002 extending the warranty to 9 years/120,000 miles on our 2007 Outlander as they had "determined that there is potential for the front coil springs on your vehicle to corrode from prolonged exposure to anti-freezing agents.....which may cause the spring to fracture.". at 151,281 miles my daughter was backing out of our driveway, heard a very loud "crack" or "snap" in the front of the car while she turned to drive away. We drove it to a nearby garage who determined that the front coil springs were indeed fractured. We spent $1176.48 getting the parts replaced. Fortunately for us our daughter was not at a highway rate of speed or we are certain she could have been involved in an accident and hurt. I have called Mitsubishi for a refund, but since the mileage was over their "voluntary warranty extension" they will not reimburse me. It is clear to me that Mitsubishi has acknowledged a safety issue (possibly to appease NHTSA?) and they are hiding behind a technicality (since I am circa 30,000 miles past the "extended warranty") and not standing behind their product - a product which they have knowingly acknowledged a safety defect with the coil springs. Mitsubishi should be required to reimburse me, and also to recall the affected vehicles and replace the affected components at their cost as they know they have vehicles running down the road with bad coil springs. This is a dangerous situation.

- Vanderbilt, MI, USA

Oct 012014

Mitsubishi has extended the warranty on this vehicles front coil springs to 120,000 miles or 9 years (whichever comes first). My front coil springs went bad at 120,500 and Mitsubishi refuses to make the necessary repair to their defective parts. The front coil springs, according to Mitsubishi have a "potential" to "corrode from prolonged exposure to anti-freezing agents (such as calcium chloride) used in cold weather areas to clear ice and snow from roadways". I do live in Ohio and we have a lot of snow here, but upon searching online I have found that many others who do not live or travel to areas where roads need to be salted (e.g. Texas, Florida) have also had the same problem. Also, if alternative front coil springs do not have the potential to corrode under these conditions, should Mitsubishi not be liable for providing customers with these satisfactory parts regardless of mileage? it seems to be universal and it is my belief that Mitsubishi put out a vehicle with a defective part that they are now refusing to recall. Their negligence in this matter is not fair to consumers who pay for quality vehicles with quality parts.

- Eastlake, OH, USA

Dec 032013

Leaving parking spot, bang sound, then a clunking as I turned out. Driver's side coil spring snapped in two places. Now in three pieces. Dealer only part and hard to find. Bought car new.

- Jordanville, NY, USA

Sep 232013

While backing out of the driveway and turning the steering wheel to enter the street, I heard a loud cracking sound and the sterring wheel jerked to one side. I returned to the driveway and later jacked up the car, removed the left front wheel and noticed the top spring of the driver's side suspension was broken.

- St. Charles, IL, USA

May 092007

Outlander 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander. While driving 10 mph, the vehicle stalled and shut off completely. The vehicle restarted, but would shut off again each time the brake was depressed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who was unable to determine the cause of failure. The current mileage is 4,200 and failure mileage was 4,100. The consumers wife applied the brakes, but when she did the vehicle stopped abruptly and the engine shut down at the same time. When she restarted the vehicle, it hopped rather than rolling smoothly and the brakes locked up again without the engine shutting down. The brakes worked fine the first two times, then when the brakes were applied for the third time, they locked up and the engine shut down again. The dealer informed the consumer that problem maybe an ABS ECU malfunction possibly in conjunction with the ESC. The consumer also stated there was a problem with the left front suspension or bearing. Updated 06/08/07.

- Haverhill , MA, USA

Feb 212007

Outlander 4WD 6-cyl

Loud knocking noise when making a sharp turn, such as turning into a parking spot.

- Landenberg, PA, USA

Feb 022007

Outlander 6-cyl

1. loud clunk noise when turning sharply 2. excessive wind noise, drivers side( per tech's findings.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA