Everything Is Wrong With This Car Seal Of This Might Hurt

2001 Oldsmobile Alero miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Oldsmobile Alero:

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments

Jun 052010

Alero 3.2L V6

I HATE this car with every fiber of my being. It has been nothing but a pain in the royal ass since we got it. My dad purchased it in summer 2005 before I started university, and from the very start, it's had issues. Three days after we got it, I went to start it and the battery was dead - awesome. 3 months later, we were delighted to discover the security system issue that comes alongside this car. Can't tell you how many times I've waited in a dark, back-corner of campus, university parking lot after a 7-10pm class waiting for the stupid 10 minutes to be up.

The last 6 months have been particularly awful; A/C went (was told we need new compressor - $1,000). Signals don't work (I have to use arm signals - not even the hazard button always works to fix it). Coolant leaks. Dashboard is constantly lit up like a Christmas tree. At the beginning of June, I got caught in some water and the engine flooded; let it dry out for DAYS before giving it a go again, and I'm pretty sure that just did the car in. The transmission jerks MAJOR when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, and minor when shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

I don't feel safe having my daughter and myself in this car; I'm paranoid every time I drive it because it's just so awful. They really cheaped out on the Alero; Oldsmobiles are usually such a good car, but after this experience, I will likely never buy one again. We've spent so much money getting things repaired on this car that I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of repairs is approaching what we paid for the car in the first place ($5,000). So frustrating; even more frustrating is that the class action suit is going to take ages to go through anyways. Don't buy this car!!!!

- , Windsor, ON, Canada