NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control Problems Seal Of This Might Hurt

2002 Oldsmobile Alero engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Oldsmobile Alero:

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments

Feb 012012

Alero 6-cyl

When I put my car into drive and let off the brake the car accelerate by itself. I do not have my foot on the gas and the car will continue to speed up until I hit the brake. While braking the car seems like it is still trying to accelerate. You have to push the brake all the way to the floor and hold it to try and maintain a full stop.if I put the car in neutral the rpms shoot way up. If I brake and stop the car and quickly throw it into park and shut it off and restart the car it usually solves the problem but it is definitely not a fix. There is just over 180,000 miles and I have just recently started to notice the problem it has happened a handful of times and I am trying to find the problem and get it fixed. This is very dangerous. The blinkers also periodically stop working and can be fixed by clicking the hazard lights a few times but again not a permanent fix. The cruise control has gone out and the trac control doesn't turn on. This car is becoming a death trap and expensive and dangerous to drive!

- Wisconsin Dells, WI, USA

Sep 032003

When going up the slightest incline at 70 mph rpms revved, and engine started missing, felt like it was going to stall.

- Athens, AL, USA