NHTSA — Seat Belts: Front: Retractor Problems

2001 Pontiac Aztek seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Pontiac Aztek:

2001 Pontiac Aztek Owner Comments

Jan 052002

On 01/05/2002 I rear-ended a 1999 Cadillac Deville going approximately 40mph. Upon impact, my airbags did "not" deploy and my seatbelt did not hold me from hittig the steering wheel with my chest. I had reported to the dealer that I didn't think the seatbelts in the front were working correctly not more than two weeks after purchase. He convinced me that these were newer seatbelts that do not react as sensitive as the older model vehicles. I ended up being transported to the hospital with chest contusions, leg contustions and cervical strain. I have searched your sight and found that the 2001 Pontiac Aztek has reported problems with passenger airbags not deploying due to no excelerant or deploying too hard due to exessive excelerant. I feel that I am lucky to be alive right now and feel that the threat to other owners of these vehicles is very real and very dangerous.,

- Woodinville, WA, USA