NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Pontiac G5 (Page 2 of 3)

2007 Pontiac G5 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G5:

2007 Pontiac G5 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Feb 082010

We have a 2007 Pontiac G5 urad with 32000 miles on it, we bought it new. In Feb 2010 my son was driving to school and as he went around a sharp bend in the road, he stated he felt the power steering went out and lost control of the car sliding into guard rails. This has happened a few times since, then we get a recall from Pontiac about the same problem. I told them about it, they had a independent inspector look at it and a girl named brandy called and said it was her decision not to do anything about it. I asked what her qualifications were and she said it didn't matter what her education was.

- Washington, PA, USA

Apr 062010

Power steering stopped working while driving approx 40 mph. Parked vehicle at work, started after shift and power steering resumed.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Dec 152009

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. While driving at speeds of 40 mph, the power steering assist would fail immediately followed by the power steering icon illuminating on the warning panel. There were no repairs made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 22,000 and the current mileage was 25,000.

- Weston, FL, USA

Dec 112009

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. While driving at speeds of 55 mph, the power steering would intermittently fail. The vehicle would become increasingly difficult to control. The manufacturer stated that there were no recalls and would provide no assistance. There were no repairs made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 72,000 and the current mileage was 74,000.

- Eagleville, TN, USA

Mar 182010

I own a 2007 Pontiac G5, the power steering goes in and out on the vehicle. I've nearly had 3 accidents while driving. This vehicle is my only for of transportation. Once I heard about the recall, I called my local dealership and was told I could not have the repairs performed until I received a letter from GM. All I hear is that they are working on this issue. This is a life threatening problem. It is extremely difficult to regain control of my vehicle when the power steering goes out when I am driving slow.

- Laplata, MD, USA

Sep 012009

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. The contact was driving approximately 30 mph and the power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. Suddenly, the power steering failed without warning. The engine was turned off and restarted, and the vehicle began to operate normally. The failure mileage was 40,000. The current mileage was 47,000.

- Ft Lauderdale, FL, USA

Feb 162010

Long distance trip with power steering not working at various times (G5, 2007). Was going to have dealer evaluate until seeing just this morning 03/02/2010 that a recall for power steering was being issued. Anyword with regard to power steering recall. I'm concerned that if my daughter was driving the car and the power steering would stop functioning. She may be in a scenario that could make this a very dangerous situation if the wheel has become very difficult. Power steering is displayed on dash.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Feb 152010

2007 Pontiac G5. Steering gave out twice causing near collision both times, brake failure at times. Sometimes the brakes are fine sometimes they cant even slow the vehicle down. Dash lights, all gauges, signal lights, radio, heater fan, rear defrost comes on and goes out rapidly at times causing inside of car cabin to fill with smoke. GM claims that this is normal and that none of these complaints are considered to be safety issues. The car has only 44000kms on it. There was 42000 when these problems started getting serious. They say the have the steering problem fixed, but I haven't had the car back long enough to know as it ends up in the garage every couple of days. The car duplicated the problems for the mechanic at the GM dealership but they say they don't know what is causing the problems. The gave the car back with the problems and said that I am stuck with it. When I asked them about it filling up with smoke they said if it happens again get out and let it burn. Easy for them to is my family that is in this car including two small children in car seats. Someone has to stop this before it is too late and someone gets killed because of GM's junk they are putting on the road. Any help in these matters would greatly be appreciated.

- Carbonear, 00, USA

Dec 102009

I own a 2007 Pontiac G5. In December 2009 my power steering went out. This car has 60,000 miles on it. There is no reason that my power steering should be going out. Now, it goes out every time I drive the car for more than 10 minutes. To correct the problem I have to pull over, turn off the car, and turn it back on again. I do this about three or four times a day. I read where ge sued their power steering supplier, so when are then going to fix our cars! this is very dangerous.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Jan 192010

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. Whenever the contact drove the vehicle more than 1 mile she noticed that the power steering failed and suddenly stopped operating without any warning. After restarting the vehicle, the power steering resumed and began working properly for 1 mile before the power steering failed again. The vehicle has not been taken to the dealership and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 66,000.

- Mcaltseer, OK, USA

Nov 192009

While driving the vehicle, it became hard to steer and the digital read out on the panel advised there was a power steering failure. When I turned the vehicle off and back on, the power steering worked fine. I took it to the dealership and was informed that the power steering motor had to be replaced. Vehicle was bought new, less than three years old and had only approximately 38,700 miles.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 312010

Loss of power steer at 22,000 miles and less than 1 month beyond 36 months... out of warranty. Told electric motor or steering column need replacement...over $1200 to repair.

- Lake Nebagamon, WI, USA

Jan 102010

Power steering failure.

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Jan 252010

Power steering light turned on dash and power steering went out. Son was driving in a parking lot so speed was low and he was able to pull into a parking spot. If this had been at a higher speed, who knows what would have happened. The car has just over 36,000 miles on it. Son is suppose to get an appt to see what can be done. Happened again last week. It seems there have been quite a few complaints about this problem but I have not heard about a recall or investigation. Seems very coincidental that the Ford cobalt, which is basically the same car as the G5, is being investigated for the same issues.

- Severn, MD, USA

Jan 012010

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. While driving at speeds of 45 mph, she noticed that the power steering warning light illuminated on the control panel. The dealer stated that the power steering motor caused the failure to occur. There were no repairs made to the vehicle to date. The failure and current mileages were 42,000.

- Waynesville, OH, USA

Jan 152010

Electric power steering (Pontiac G5 2007) stops working while driving car. It will occur a random intervals and the only thing you can do is to pull over and turn off the car and then restart the engine. Of course this is extremely hard and dangerous to do since you have hardly any control of the car. I am in the process of seeking repairs.

- Ooltewah, TN, USA

Oct 012009

Power steering problem in Pontiac G5 - drives normal down the highway, then all of a sudden the car starts shaking violently (steering wheel starts shaking back and forth).

- Marysville, OH, USA

Jul 312009

This problem is a safety hazard, I am tired as "!@#$% going through this recurring problem every few weeks. I have to put my car in the shop or gone to the car dealership where I purchase my car in the last two months at least 8-10 times. Although, the car gets temporary fix, this concern is a pain and really aggravated. Also, considering the dealerships uses poor quality materials or shall I say cheap parts I am right back at square one. The power steering lights comes on and the power steering goes out repeatedly and the services tech's and services managers tells you to put your life at risk by driving the vehicle to them so they can see that the powering steering is out and then make the decision that the powering steering column has gone out. Although this is what I am telling them over and over again. I guess I should be happy that the concern is being fixed right? well hell no because, I am paying for extended services to cover concerns like this. I have to put my life in jeopardy by driving a vehicle without power steering barely able to turn the wheel and that sucks!!!!!!!!!!! I am mad as"!@#$% and I want someone to understand where I am coming from. I don't even want the car no more but I am stuck! Pontiac G5's are a nice little car for a one person but if I could get out of this car I would!

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jul 162009

My 2007 Pontiac G5 is having power steering failure and it is hard to turn the wheel and I almost had an accident on 07/16/2009 due to this. My car was purchased "brand new" and should not have any issues this early. The ashland, va Pontiac dealership wants $100 to look at it. I know that their is an investigation for the Pontiac G6's, but something is not right here.

- Ashland, VA, USA

Jul 052009

Electric power steering just cut off while driving and never came back on.

- Austin, TX, USA