NHTSA — Tires Problems

2004 Pontiac GTO (Page 3 of 3)

2004 Pontiac GTO wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac GTO:

2004 Pontiac GTO Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Oct 152005

GTO 8-cyl

My factory-installed tires wear against the strut, especially on the passenger side. This has caused the dealer to recommend that I replace the tires with only 9,000 miles on the vehicle. GM refuses to do anything at all about this problem, and expects me to replace the tires as needed.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Aug 302005

I reference claim ODI#10116796. I am having the same problem.

- Satellite Beach, FL, USA

Aug 272005

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 212005

GTO 8-cyl

I reference claim ODI#10116796. I am having this same problem. My tires are rubbing on my front strut. I am having the problem on both the driver side and passenger side, mostly on the passenger side. Also minor passenger side tire damage.

- Romeoville, IL, USA

Apr 052005

GTO 8-cyl

2004 Pontiac GTO: Front tires (mainly passenger side) rubbing strut tower, causing premature wearing on tires and potentially dangerous consequences (e.g. tire failure etc).

- Round Lake, IL, USA

Mar 152005

GTO 8-cyl

This problem occurs with a 2004 Pontiac GTO. The front tires rubbed against the strut, causing the tires to wear out. The tires could potentially explode because of this issue. Had the dealership look at and log the problem. They said that there was no solution available as of this writing. I have utilized online resources, such as to find out how common this problem was. Many people responded and identified the same problem. No one has been offered a solution by the dealership they have visited.

- Round Lake Beach, IL, USA

Jan 202005

GTO 8-cyl

History: The 2004-2005 Pontiac GTO is an imported version of the australia holden monaro. The holden manaro comes from the factory with 235/45R17 tires, tires that are generally 235mm (9.25") wide. However, when Pontiac specs the GTO for the us, they finally decided on a 10mm wider tire, a 245/45R17 bf goodrich G-force kdws tire. No changes were made to the suspension of the vehicle for us import though. Current problem: The larger tire causes rubbing on the front strut, namely and more commonly the passenger side strut. This is evidenced by a rubbing mark on the strut body and many times wear marks on the tires themselves. In some cases, front suspension binding has occurred. In other cases, tire replacement was necessary. This is due, in fact, to the increase in size of the tire that Pontiac has chosen to put on the imported version. Several Pontiac dealerships are aware of this problem, and it has been speculated that Pontiac is aware as well. Future problems: Tires are not all the same size. One 245/45R17 tire can be smaller or larger depending on the manufacturer of the tire. There is a strong posibility that when a consumer replaces his/her worn factory tires with another set of tires, of the same "size", that they would be even larger and could cause serious problems. In light of the Ford-Firestone tire problems, I believe this is a situation that should be researched. Please note: Dealership lot cars would most likely not demonstrate this problem as they will not have been driven enough to cause the rubbing.

- Norman, OK, USA

Feb 272005

GTO 8-cyl

I have 6,000 miles on my GTO. I can not rotatie my tires because the inner tire in the rear of my car are bold. Pontiac dealer is giving me hard time about the rear. My tire are towed in on the top so I got uneven wear they told me nothing is wrong with the rear.

- Bay Shore, NY, USA