NHTSA — Tires Problems

2004 Pontiac GTO (Page 2 of 3)

5.9

2004 Pontiac GTO wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac GTO:

2004 Pontiac GTO Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 162004

GTO 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac GTO. The contact stated that both front B.F. goodrich tires on the vehicle were excessively worn. The dealer replaced the tires and aligned the vehicle under warranty. The contact was informed that the vehicle also had a power steering leak. The dealer replaced the power steering rack and aligned the vehicle. The contact has noticed that the two front tires are beginning to wear again. The dot number, tire, purchase date, and mileage information were unavailable.

- Mcdonald, PA, USA

May 162007

GTO 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac GTO. While driving 35 mph, the drivers side rear tire blew out. The failure did not cause any damage, but the dealer stated that the remaining three tires were also going to blow out. The tires displayed cords and an alignment was performed at 15,000 miles. The current and failure mileages were 23,000.

- Desoto , MO, USA

Jun 192006

GTO 8-cyl

Campaign # PE07010 front tires were rubbing the strut housing and wearing prematurely and unevenly. Tires were replaced at ~18,000 miles and a front-end alignment was performed. The new tires also rubbed the strut housing and wore prematurely and unevenly and were replaced after 10,000 miles. Spacers were placed between the wheel and brake rotor to stop the tires from rubbing the strut housing, but the real problem seems to either be a design flaw or suspension parts wearing prematurely.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Apr 302007

GTO 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac GTO. While driving 65 mph the contact heard a flapping noise. After observing the vehicle the front passenger tire peeled into strips. The tire was a B.F. goodrich. The road and weather conditions were not a factor. There were no injuries. The tire has not been replaced. The failure and current mileage was 18,000.

- Washington, IN, USA

Nov 242006

GTO 8-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac GTO. While surveying the vehicle, the contact noticed that the struts were rubbing against the tires. This failure caused the tires to wear out to the wire. The two front tires were replaced, and 3,000 miles later the tires began to wear out again. The vehicle was taken to four dealers, and no one could explain the tire wear. The current mileage was 22,000, and failure mileage was 18,000.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Aug 012006

GTO 8-cyl

- the contact owns a 2004 Pontiac GTO. While driving 50 mph the contact noticed that the wheels were vibrating. The steel belts were exposed on the front passenger's tire. The dealer stated that the vehicle needed a wheel alignment. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic to make the repairs. The contact replaced all four tires on the vehicle. The contact stated that approximately 3,000 miles later he noticed tire wear on the front passenger tire. The vehicle currently has 19,000 miles.

- Albany, NY, USA

Mar 292007

GTO

I have a 2004 Pontiac GTO with 26,000 miles on it. Every tire has abnormal wearing on the inside of the tire. It is obvious that is rubbing on the suspension because a part of the suspension is rubbed clean and the rest of it is dirty. I have called my dealer and they said they do not know of there being any problems with it. I saw on the news and the NHTSA web site that there is a pending investigation into this problem and would like to support others with this problem and would like my voice to be heard. Thanks and have a great day.

- Toledo, MI, USA

Sep 212006

GTO

Noticed steering wheel shaking at 50 mph and above. Took to dealer to have looked at because the steering column assembly had been replaced. Once dealer was done I was told the tires had some wear and needed an alignment. At this time I only had 13,334 miles was then parked the car for winter. Over winter I have seen on the news about tire rub on the GTO and cars having blow outs. So now at 15,000 miles my tires on the front are completely waste and the steel belt is showing through the tire. The tires have not been replaced at this time and car is going back to dealer again. I have had this GTO into the dealer for multiple reasons over the past 2 years.

- Elyria, OH, USA

Mar 132007

GTO 8-cyl

To whom this may concern, I'm writing about my 2004 Pontiac GTO front tire & strut rub issue! since purchasing the GTO in 2004 I've had to replace my front tires 3 times due to the strut rubbing and tearing the inside of my tires apart. Plus, last night 3/13/07 after a drive I checked the tires I just recently purchased in November '06 and low and behold they are completely shredded down to the thread. So once again I had to call and order new tires and spend more money on a problem that should've been addressed from the start. This is very dangerous as I have a family and am very concerned that if I'm driving on the freeway or just around town that my tires will explode and will cause me or whoever in my family is driving the car to lose control and perhaps lose their life. Please address this issue with Pontiac before people lose their lives!

- Glenwood, IL, USA

Mar 092007

GTO 8-cyl

Strut tower rubbing on tires causing dangerous amount of wear. The tires on my 2004 Pontiac GTO show severe wear on the inside corner edges, excessive wear and cupping are prominent. Tires have under 30,000 highway miles, normal commute driving (this is my daily driver not a race car). Even with regular rotation, the tires are so badly worn that the belts are almost exposed. I believe this may be due to the 2004 GTO problem of strut tower rubbing. Contact with the strut tower is visibly evident on the strut. I mentioned this to my GM dealer who performed service on my vehicle and they were unaware of any known issues with the GTO.

- Whitinsville, MA, USA

Mar 062007

GTO 6-cyl

We have a 2004 GTO with 18,000 miles on it. 2 weeks ago I was driving on the interstate and I heard a loud banging noise coming from the passenger side of the car. My husband noticed that there was a 8 inch by 2 inch piece of rubber that had pealed off of the inside of the tire and was rubbing against something making the noise. 1 week later another piece on the same tire had peeled loose and was knocking up against the wheel well of the car. I took the car to classic Pontiac and they told me to leave the car over night so that they could get a better look at it and that it was too dangerous to drive. I was then told by a co-worker that she saw something on channel 5 news that GTO's were having a problem with the tires rubbing up against the shocks. I did not receive anything in the mail for a re-call on my car. I will let you know what classic Pontiac does to repair my car.

- Painesville, OH, USA

Jul 032006

GTO 8-cyl

- the contact owns a 2004 Pontiac GTO. The front 17 inch passenger and driver tires rubbed against the struts and caused the tires to wear out prematurely. The steering wheel vibrated while driving but it no longer occurred after the alignment. The failure mileage was 16,808. The contact read on the internet related complaints, and was aware of the NHTSA investigation. Also, he was aware that the tire failure could cause a blowout. The dealer replaced the tires and aligned them at no cost to him. The contact owns B.F. goodrich tires, tire line name gforce T/a kdws, tire size P245/45/17W. The current mileage was 20,000. The driver side power seat jerked. Updated 03/30/07. 8jb

- Aliso Viejo , CA, USA

May 102006

GTO

Front tires rub against strut wearing down the inside wall of tire to where metal wires in tire showing. Had to replace all tires.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Feb 142007

GTO

I own a 2004 Pontiac GTO. I recently saw a news story regarding potential problems with the front tires rubbing against the strut. I wanted to bring to your attention that I had the oil changed in the car at a GM dealership about two months ago. While there, they mentioned to me that the right front tire was worn down from the inside and needed replaced. The car only has around 12,000 miles on it.

- Willoughby, OH, USA

Jun 072006

GTO 8-cyl

My front tires blew out on me at 20K miles due to a tire rub on the front struts. About a three inch band around the tire was completely worn away.

- Saline, MI, USA

Sep 062006

GTO 8-cyl

I own a 2004 Pontiac GTO. I was driving to work on the freeway at 5:30am on Sept. 6, 2006. I was passing a semi truck when the passenger side front tire blew out. The vehicle pulled sharply to the right, but I was able to regain control and avoid striking the semi. I pulled the car to the side of the road. The passenger side front tire was shredded. The front tires both needed to be replaced, and I was told the rear tires were worn to the point of replacement. When I picked the car up later that night, I was told by the mechanic that I was going to continue to have problems due to the fact that the tires were too wide, causing them to rub against the strut brace. I had him show me the old tires. The one that had blown out was worn completely down to the belts, and it looked as though it had been cut with a knife, similar to opening a tuna can. I also found that when the tire blew out, it dented to the top of the passenger side wheel well and scratched the front bumper. I took the tires with me. The Pontiac GTO is an import from holden in austrailia. In austrailia the vehicle is equipped with 235/45R17 tires on it. When Pontiac brought it to the states, they equipped 245/45R17 tires on it, 10mm wider. The increase in width causes the tire to rub against the strut brace, mostly on the passenger side. The next day I took it to the dealership where I bought it. They told me it was the first they had ever heard of the problem, and that there was no recall. The service manager said he would call GM to see what the deal was. I heard back the next day. GM was going to reimburse me for 2 of the 4 tires I purchased and redo the alignment by adjusting the positive camber of the front tires, but they wanted the old tires back. Since that time, I have been offered the same deal, with the inclusion of fixing the body work, and I can keep the tires. My GTO has less than 19K miles on it, and gave no prior indication of a problem.

- Streetsboro, OH, USA

Sep 072006

GTO 8-cyl

I purchased a 2004 Pontiac GTO from a local GM dealership in pella, ia. My car was showing noticeable wear on the inside 1.5-2" on both front tires. After getting my car back from an oil change, the dealership brought it to my attention that the front tires were worn through to the cords on the insides only. Since then, I've been in contact with GM several times explaining to them that there is a severe safety issue and it needs to get resolved. The answer was to replace the front tires with new at my expense and warranty would not cover the situation. This obviously does not fix the problem, nor does it pay for the tires that I had barely used in the entire 9,000 miles of the car. The car was purchased new at jensens auto center in pella and I am the only owner/driver in the cars history.

- Pella, IA, USA

Jun 012006

GTO 8-cyl

I previously submitted a complaint regarding my 2004 Pontiac GTO in which the front tires (specifically the passenger) side rubbed against the suspension and severely damaged the tires. When contacted by the NHTSA, I did not respond because I had since changed my tires and no longer had the original tires. I got rid of my stock 2004 tires and rims and purchased four stock tires and rims for the 2005 Pontiac GTO from a 2005 GTO owner. I have had the tires on for several months and have had absolutely no rubbing. In investigating this defect, I recommend that the stock 2004 and 2005 rims/tires be compared. The tires that I have are the exact same as the 2004; the only difference is the rims (2004 vs 2005). Perhaps Pontiac realized there was a problem in the 2004 model and made a slight modification to the 2005 rims to prevent the rub.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 192006

GTO 8-cyl

I leased a 2004 Pontiac GTO. The automobile had premature tire wear on the insides of the tire. The car has lots of vibrations while traveling at all speeds. I replaced the tires for the third time through Goodyear and it still has vibrations. I took to dealer today and car has a service bulletin for vibrations the struts are causing problems. The struts are also rubbing on the tires causing the premature wear however the Pontiac does not wish to recognize this problem. This is also a safety concern which could lead to a blow out. Buyer beware!

- Osceola, IN, USA

May 172006

GTO 8-cyl

The front tires (primarily the passenger side) are rubbing against the inside struts. This is exactly the same problem as indicated on the other GTO posts. I brought it in to the dealer and was told that I had to just "deal with it" and that Pontiac would not fix the problem. I have already burned through a set of tires. The front passenger tire was worn down to the white inner tire lining. Now, the driver side is also rubbing.

- Kailua, HI, USA