NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2007 Pontiac Solstice (Page 4 of 7)

2007 Pontiac Solstice seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac Solstice:

2007 Pontiac Solstice Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Dec 012014

The passenger seat airbag sensor stopped working. It no longer sensing when a passenger is present in the passenger seat. This seems like a very dangerous problem since the airbag will not deploy on passenger side in a crash. It seems to be a common problem that is well documented, I believe GM should order a recall.

- Clifton, VA, USA

Nov 282014

Solstice 4-cyl

Service airbag light came on. Dealer says the passenger presence system module has failed and is $1260 to replace. After looking at several Pontiac Solstice online forums, this appears to be a common failure.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 102014

Solstice 4-cyl

The air bag sensor in my vehicle failed after its 'bumper-to-bumper' warranty expired. Any passenger in the car faces added risk if an accident were to occur. It is my understanding that the owner's cost to fix this item is prohibitive ($800 to $1,000), and that the early failure of this part is somewhat common for this vehicle.

- Springfield, VA, USA

May 192010

Solstice 4-cyl

Air bag light come on while driving down the road a few years ago. It was determined to be the passenger presence detection sensor bad. I decided not to do the repair because it was going to be over $800. Today, I stumbled across quite a few forum posts with other people having same problem in their Pontiac Solstice and Saturn skys. There was even a media coverage about it in tn. I believe there should be a recall. GM has recalled other makes and models for the same issue, but because the Solstice and sky are low production they do not make it on their radar for researching if the recall should be made. I'm sure there are many others like me who have been living with it because the cost is too high to repair.

- Forney, TX, USA

Oct 242014

Solstice 4-cyl

I just had my ignition changed under the GM/Pontiac recall, and we were driving the car down the highway. My check airbag sensor started flashing on and off intermittently and so did my passenger airbag off light came on each time the check sensor light came on. I did have a passenger in the right passenger seat. The next day I drove the car and the check airbag sensor was on steady. I took my car to my local GM dealer and they stated I had a passenger side airbag sensor failure. The cost with parts and labor was estimated at just under $800. I did check this sensor failure online and there are a lot of complaints regarding this and I believe this should be recalled and repaired by GM.

- Austin, MN, USA

Aug 202010

Passenger airbag sensor stopped working. I had noticed the light/sensor not coming on twice before when I had a passenger in the seat and it should have engaged the airbag sensors. No incidents, no trauma to the car nothing. It just stopped. Now it never comes on and there is a warning message on the dash hud. I've read a lot of similar problems and malfunctions with passenger airbags on other Solstices and Saturn sky cars so I know this isn't an isolated event. Currently at 65K miles and a mechanic mentioned to me that this problem might also cause my driver airbag not to deploy. I'm the only one who rides in my car so this didn't affect me until I heard this.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Solstice 4-cyl

This light has come on indicating no air bags. The vehicle was parked. I've taken it into the dealer for the recall on ignition switch and replacement keys. They charged me for the diagnosis of a defective passenger present sensor. The part will need to be ordered at a cost of $761 plus labor. My wife does not feel safe riding in the car now. Every Solstice on the forum board reports this same problem.

- Ham Lake, MN, USA

Aug 292014

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac Solstice. The contact stated that the passenger air bag warning light was illuminated. Also, the contact stated that when a passenger occupied the seat, the air bag would deactivate. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnosis. The technician diagnosed that the air bag sensor had malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000.

- Covington , LA, USA

Sep 042014

My wife weighs 105 pounds and is 5 feet 5 inches tall, she is not heavy enough to turn on the passenger air bag. I went to royal Buick dealer in tucson Arizona to ask if they could make an adjustment, they said no that the bags are not armed for anyone under 100 pounds. I explained to them that she weighs 105 and they said they could not help me, I asked if they could turn it on permanently and they said they could not. So, she rides in this two passenger sports car, we are senior citizens with no small children ever riding, and she is uneasy because she does not have the protection of the passenger air bag. I think even 100 pounds is too high of a requirement, should be down to 70-80 pounds. My grand daughter rides with me also, she is 12, 5 feet 6 inches and weighs 85 pounds so she has no protection from the air bag either.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 092014

Solstice 4-cyl

Passenger airbag sensor went bad. Leaves airbag disabled whether or not there is a passenger in the seat. Could be very dangerous and GM refuses to acknowledge responsibility for this very common problem.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Jul 282014

I took our Solstice to a GM dealer in alcoa, tn on July 28, 2014 for the ignition cylinder recall. The ignition cylinder was replaced by the dealer. While driving home I noticed the dealer had move the steering wheel to the maximum tilt up position. When I moved the steering wheel to a middle tilt position the service airbag warning light activated. No one was in the passengers seat at this time. This warning had never been activated before. I returned the vehicle to the same dealer on August 7, 2014 and was informed that there was an open circuit in the passenger presence air bag circuit. The module was replaced at a cost to me of $852.29.

- Loudon, TN, USA

Mar 152014

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac Solstice. The contact received recall notifications for NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The contact stated that the parts needed were unavailable to perform the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Niles, OH, USA

Aug 052013

Solstice 4-cyl

My 2007 Pontiac Solstice, 4 cylinder, 2.0 engine's is under the recall for the ignition switch. My Solstice and tons of other Solstice owners along with the ignition recall...are also having problems with the warning light for the airbag safety light staying on. GM needs to add the Pontiac Solstice to their lists of recalls to other GM vehicles having the same exact issue. This is dangerous for passengers/driver if involved in a front of side collision and the airbags will not deploy.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Solstice 4-cyl

Service air bag light came on. After dealer quoted a price of $1080.14 a found out on that this is a common safety issue with this car and several other GM vehicles. Several owners have reported more then one failure.

- Johnsonburg, PA, USA

Solstice 4-cyl

Had message service air bag come on. System showed passenger air bag off. Took vehicle to GM dealer. Inspection showed a defective passenger presence sensor, compromising both air bags. This would require a $800 repair.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jul 012014

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac Solstice. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag light failed to illuminate when a passenger seat was occupied. The contact also stated the service air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Jul 162014

The passensger seat air bag sensor stopped working at 32000 miles.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Jul 042014

Solstice 4-cyl

Passenger seat cushion airbag sensor module or pps is defective and does not arm the passenger airbag with an adult in the passenger seat. Dealer estimate is $1000 to replace the seat cushion. This seems to be an issue with most if not eventually all Pontiac Solstices. This sub standard critical life safety part should be recalled and replaced.

- Glendale, NY, USA

Jul 042014

While driving out of town on July 4, 2014, the airbag light for passenger went from on to off (there was a passenger in the seat) and a service airbag warning light came on. Called dealer to check on this, already had an appointment scheduled for July 9th to replace ignition switch (recall). Were told that the two incidents were not related. Received a phone call from the service department (at dealer) on July 9, 2014 that there was a faulty module for airbag system and would cost $750 to replace. There appear to be many complaints regarding this airbag issue. I don't feel we should have to pay for this safety issue but don't feel like there is any choice!

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Jun 102014

Solstice 4-cyl

Service air bag light came on had it checked and was told that it is a faulty pps system I have had no wrecks and think this should be fixed by the dealer without charge as there is no reason for faulty airbag.

- Barwick, GA, USA