NHTSA — Engine Problems

2006 Pontiac Torrent (Page 1 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: No heat, no air conditioning, and visibility issues because of a busted defogger system. Basically, anything coming out of a vent in the 2006 Torrent is broken.

1.8

2006 Pontiac Torrent engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac Torrent:

2006 Pontiac Torrent Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 162016

Torrent

A number of unusual issues have plagued us with this car! the keys slide out of the ignition while car is still running. At random times, the engine will rev, but the car will barely move until it eventually stops. Even then it will turn on and the engine will run, but it won't move. At other times, the electrical shuts down and there is no power at all, no lights or sounds. We've replaced the battery (a very expensive one at that) twice, as whatever is happening drains it. The car throws codes that make it impossible to pass inspection. These include: E-vap, throttle body, assorted sensors, break pedal, gas cap, heat/ac motor, and so on. We have replaced and/or repaired everything on the code list and still, it won't clear. The check engine light, ABS, and tread light remain on no matter what we do. We were advised to keep driving it until the computer cleared the codes to "ready", but it's not working. Recently, white wisps of smoke were coming from the steering column, along with a burning smell. The car just died and refused to start. We had to replace the turn signal switch. These are things that should not be occurring with normal maintenance and driving. We've also been told by mechanics that they are dangerous issues, including the possibility of fire while driving, and failures that cause wrecks. They cannot explain why they are occurring, especially after repair. One person said we probably made some repairs that were unnecessary, but we needed the car to pass required inspection. We are sinking too much money into this vehicle to keep it running and cannot afford a new payment as this one is purchased in full. We are disabled, needing dependable transportation for medical appointments and daily errands. Why aren't there recalls? this model is all over the internet and forums for these faulty codes & issues! incredibly irresponsible of the manufacturer.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Oct 212015

Torrent

My vehicle started to overheat on me so I stopped and checked the coolant levels. I top the coolant level off and continued on my trip (temp gauge back to normal). As I got home the car started to overheat again and I checked all fluid levels but everything was normal. I let the car sit for approximately 30 and then continued driving. I took the car to my personal mechanic and he changed the thermostat, but still having same issues. I notified my mechanic and he then researched all recalls and tsb of my vehicle. He notified me stating GM knows of a known issue with their headgaskets and they recommend using bars leaks if a problem arises. I have followed their recommendation and am now left without a running vehicle. Can someone please get a recall out on this as it is known with all GM vehicles with this motor.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jul 102015

Torrent

On delivery of 2006 Pontiac Torrent on July 10, 2015, I experienced while driving on the highway at 70 mph, the overwhelming smell of gas fuel emitting within the interior. I also noticed after leaving the dealership the motor began to sound as if I was escalating into the atmosphere on an airplane to 13000 feet in the air. The vehicle is very inviting, however; the exterior paint as well as the interior has touched up prior to resale.

- Eastpointe , MI, USA

Nov 242011

Torrent

There have been many occasions of my car completely shutting down while driving. I have had it to mechanics many times no one can seem to figure this issue out. I am currently having the recall fixed for the ignition switch. I have read plenty of complaints 1 to many I shall say. And believe me I don't want to put myself, my child or anyone else in danger but this is my only vehicle and I can not afford to buy another one. I would just hope some one can figure this problem out. I don't even care if its a recall although it should be for the many complaint. I just wanna know what the problem is and how to fix it.

- Harmony, PA, USA

Aug 072013

Torrent 6-cyl

At times the car doesn't crank or start when ignition key is turned to start. On-going issue that occurs at least 4-6 times per month. Unsure why this happens. No repairs have been made. Is there a recall or service bulletin on this issue?

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 072014

Torrent

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Torrent. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, an unknown odor was present in the vehicle. The contact noticed that there was fire coming from under the glove compartment and the vehicle became engulfed in flames. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Lake Charles , LA, USA

Nov 082014

Torrent 6-cyl

My blend door actuator has failed and fell off inside of my cab causing my heat to fail inside my cab for both defrost and heat. I live in a cold climate and it's impossible to drive without heat in the winter. The repair technician quoted me 9+ hours of labor to remove my dash, install the new actuator and re-install my dash. It will take three days to repair and cost me $1800 to fix. Apparently, after speaking with the service technician and my local auto shop, this is a common problem with Pontiac Torrents as I've also read dozens of complaints from people on this site. He said there might be a recall on the part, and I should check. However, after searching my VIN, it does not appear to be a recalled part at this time. I cannot believe this has not been recalled as this is such a costly repair to be made for a faulty part from GM. Please help as this is not does not appear to be an isolated occurrence with Pontiac Torrents.

- Crystal, MN, USA

Aug 302014

Torrent 4WD 6-cyl

Able to take key out of ignition with the car in neutral gear and running. Car was towed to dealership where some work was done, however, when checked with attendant, incident recurred. Car started put car in neutral removed keys from car car continued running, engine did not cut off.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Jun 212014

Torrent 6-cyl

We were taking my children to the circus on 695 West doing 60 mph when the light showing that the car had overheated and the engine light came on. While doing 60 mph the car just stops in the on the beltway. We could have been killed. There was no power whatsoever. The windows wouldn't even roll up. This car needs to be recalled. The alternator was replaced and a fuel pump and we got the car back a week later and the same issue happened again except this time we were coming out of the baltimore tunnel praying it didn't stop but it did and had to be towed yet again.

- Belcamp, MD, USA

Jun 062014

Torrent 6-cyl

I have had multiple problems with my ignition and it stripping twice within a year. I have also had to change the ignition fuse multiple times within the last three months. The most recent incident happened this morning while driving at about 45 mph my truck completely shut off. I was lucky to have a bystander get out of their vehicle and push my truck to the side of the road. In the middle of the person moving my vehicle, it automatically started back up. I'm not too sure how or why this has happened. There are no visible warning signals. This happened to me last week as well. Once I start the truck up it runs fine and then just shuts off and after a couple of minutes, it starts back up automatically. This is an extremely dangerous defect. I really hope GM or Pontiac looks into this issue... there are multiple complaints with the same issues that I have been having. I believe this is sad that as many complaints that have been issued about this vehicle, that there is not yet a recall on it.

- Spring, TX, USA

May 242014

Torrent 6-cyl

My car keep stalling when I drive it for a while and then it acts like it don't want to go anymore. Later on when I drive it again its ok and picks up like normal. I really was upset that I took it to the mechanic to get check out and he told me that it would be about 3000 to get it fixed.

- Anderson, SC, USA

May 112010

Torrent 6-cyl

My sunroof drains clogs repeatedly which causes ankle deep water to puddle inside. I had to have it towed from work last month because it would not accelerate after rain leaked everywhere. In addition I had to bum a ride to work because it wouldn't accelerate due to the fact it was wet from the rain. When this happens the traction light comes on causing my car to lose speed. Although pedal is push all the way down to floor it will not accelerate. I would hate to be traveling on interstate and lose speed during rush hour.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Aug 012012

Torrent

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Torrent. The contact stated while attempting to accelerate the vehicle would not move. The contact also indicated that on several occasions while driving at speeds above 45 mph the vehicle would suddenly stall. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the defect. The contact also indicated that while operating the heater or air conditioner a mist was coming from the vents leaving a residue inside the cabin. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of failure. The contact also indicated that the drivers side heated seat was extremely hot to the touch and a electrical burning odor was present. The defrost malfunctioned which created a visibility hazard. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 85000.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Apr 212014

Torrent 6-cyl

While driving vehicle at 45mph engine suddenly stopped and steering became difficult. All dash lights still illuminated radio functional. Coasted to side of road, fortunately there were no vehicle behind me at the time of the failure. I tried to restart the vehicle, the engine would not crank. I waited five minutes and then the engine would crank and start. I took it to the Chevrolet dealer and was told the security function of the PCM was defective and causing the fuel pump to stop.

- Granger, IN, USA

Sep 192012

Torrent 6-cyl

Needed to order an entire exhaust kit made for the issue I ran into which seems to be so common, they made a kit to fix it... cost or repairs $550.

May 012013

Torrent 6-cyl

Coolant started leaking into the engine head gaskets blown. Half new engine needed total cost of repair $3,500.

Mar 102014

Torrent 6-cyl

Car will start fine and run between the 1 and 2 section of RPM gauge.after 10-15 min. Of operation car will die suddenly no sputtering and electronics seem to still work (radio, flashers, headlights, dash lights), must coast to side of road before being plowed into. Check engine light came on. Took into local mechanic said the catalytic converter code was on and that they "blew it out", light shut off Torrent ran fine for 1 day. Repeated process is of dying is now ongoing, car will either die or stall (feels like a downshift), then blow out a cloud of black smoke and keep running if engine does not die, also RPM's reduce to the 0 - 1 section of gauge rather then the normal 1-2 section like when I bought it. 2 mechanics could not find the problem after checking 2 sensor's, fuel pump and fuse box. Problem still not resolved....

Mar 172014

Torrent

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Torrent. The contact stated that while entering a garage, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after approximately 5 minutes and the vehicle operated normally. The failure recurred on another occasion when the contact was entering a driveway with the illumination of the check engine warning light. Additionally, the key would sporadically fail to enter the ignition switch. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 81,900. Updated 4/28/14

- Westminster , MD, USA

Mar 012010

Torrent

Driving approx. 45 mph down 4 lane highway in the left lane. Engine stopped and lost all steering & braking control. Able to coast to a ditch on side of the road. Turned the vehicle to off position in ignition switch then attempted to restart vehicle. After 3-4 cranking attempts, car started. Went straight to nearest dealership. Service department stated that there was nothing wrong because the check engine light was not on. Second occasion- driving approx. 25 mph down 2 lane road. Began to slow down to turn left- engine stopped and lost all steering & braking control. Able to coast to side of the road. Turned the vehicle to off position in ignition switch then attempted to restart vehicle. Car started after several attempts. Went to nearest service store and once again was told that nothing appeared to be wrong because there were no lights on. Takes multiple cranking attempts to start the vehicle on a daily basis. No pattern to when. Could be in the am, pm, middle of the day, hot, cold, warm, raining, snowing, sunny, cloudy.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Nov 132013

Torrent 6-cyl

On November 15, 2013 I was driving my vehicle and smoke started coming from up under the hood. I pulled over and raised the hood and the electrical wires to the electrical box was on fire. I cut off the vehicle and sat for a minute and the automatic starter just kept starting the car by itself. I got in the vehicle and tried to start the vehicle with the key in the ignition and when I stepped on the brake it tried to start without me turning the key over. I got back out the vehicle and it continued to automatically start by itself until the battery ran dead. On November 18, 2013 I had a mechanic look at the vehicle and he stated that the electrical system had burned up.

- St. Louis, MO, USA