NHTSA — Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine Problems

6.0

2008 Saturn Astra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Astra:

2008 Saturn Astra Owner Comments

Mar 062010

Astra 4-cyl

The vehicle caught fire and burned beyond repair. I was driving the speed limit on a major highway. I heard a very loud thump under the hood. I pulled onto the shoulder to investigate, when a car pulled beside me and the driver told me that there were flames coming from the bottom of my car. The flames quickly grew and huge billows of black smoke impaired visibility of the people driving on the interstate. By the time the fire truck arrived, from the steering wheel forward, the car was largely ash and blackened metal.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 262008

Astra

I bought a 2008 Saturn Astra 4dr hatchback xe on March 26, 2008. On June 26th, the check engine light came on and I notice that when I step on the gas, the acceleration seems to be limited. I took the car to the dealership on 6/28/08, after the on-line diagnostics through on-staron 6/26 indicated that there seems to be a malfunction code in the engine control system. The dealership downloaded new software and recommended that I monitor the next occurrence of the check engine light. I drove the car with no check engine light from the dealer on 6/28, 6/29, however on 6/30, around 9am, the check indicator light came on again. I brought it to the dealer on 7/2 in the morning. Currently, they are diagnosing the vehicle.

- Oxford, CT, USA