NHTSA — Parking Brake: Conventional: Mechanical: Linkage And Cable Problems

2003 Saturn L200 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Saturn L200:

2003 Saturn L200 Owner Comments

Jan 152007

L200 4-cyl

The parking brake cable failed. As a result, the right rear brake would remain engaged after I released the brake. Originally occurred during cool weather, so I thought maybe related to that, and was able to get it unstuck by several hard braking events in forward or reverse. When it happened again, I resolved to take it to the dealer, and they diagnosed the problem as a corroded cable and they needed to replace it. Luckily, I had an extended warranty (certified pre-owned) and it was still covered. I'm guessing that this could become a problem in the future, as long as I live in the rust belt, even though I keep my car clean.

- South Bend, IN, USA

Sep 092006

L200 4-cyl

I left my house (released my parking brake) and went for a short drive 3-4 miles. My brakes failed and the rear brake overheated and smoke began billowing out from the wheel. My mechanic and I checked the car and the emergency brake cable showed a complete corrosion breakdown of the cable sheathing. The car is relatively new 2003, I have owned the entire time, no accidents or any service which has not been done by the dealer. There is no corrosion on anything else on the undercarriage. The cable seemed to be installed with a loop which pooled moisture at a low point in the sheathing case of the cable. The sheathing completely corroded at that point. The Saturn dealership was not interested in investigating my problem and I went to a private service station. The cables needed to be replaced and possibly down the road the car will need a new drum due to the overheating.

- Flanders, NJ, USA