2007 Saturn Outlook drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Outlook:

2007 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Nov 102013

Outlook 6-cyl

Thought this was a good deal just purchased on 11/4/13. With a 100,000 mile warranty. Yeah right have had nothing but trouble since I drove it. And they told me they fixed all the problems. Today is the 13th they told me to take it out of town on my planned trip and see how it does.the farther we drove the worse the transmission kept slipping. So on the 12th I took it back in and the service dept. Told me they are limited on what they can fix on a used car even under warranty. And my airbag service light came on and they couldn't fix that told me I would have to take it to another dealership and they could fix that out of my pocket cost. Something needs to be done with these vehicles before somebody gets seriously hurt! somebody please help me what can I do..

- Ashland, KY, USA

Oct 232013

Outlook 6-cyl

Vehicle wouldn't go into park although the gear shift was in park. The piece under the hood could be moved to knock it out of gear even when the car was turned off which is a dangerous safety hazard. The dealership said it was the shift cable that needed replacing. There was a previous recall in a 2009 Saturn Outlook ( recall # 09041) but the 2007 Outlook was not included which is the vehicle I have. I called GM and told about the problem and they would not do anything about it even though it is an on going safety problem!

- Bowling Green , KY, USA

Oct 112013

Outlook 6-cyl

Service passenger air bag warning light has been coming on for about 6 months now. Took it dealer but they said it was not covered. On Oct 11, 2013 while driving on the highway at about 65 mph the transmission just gave out. Car started slowing down and was not able to keep speed up. Was able to pull off the road. Got towed to certified dealership (motor city) in bakersfield and was told that my Saturn Outlook 2007 needed a new transmission.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 202013

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle began to jerk continuously without warning. The vehicle failed to operate in reverse but the contact was able to resume in drive. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the transmission wave plate was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 34,752.

- Southern Pines, NC, USA

Sep 252013

During the car being serviced they did a service bulletin on the car that was to reprogram the ECM computer in the car for a timing chain issue. After the service the gas mileage went down and noticed the change oil calculator went down faster. Not a big deal I change my oil at 5,000 miles with synthetic blend. Wife too car and after shopping the car would not start. Found out that the timing chain snapped and broke numerous pieces in the engine. Found out after taking to the mechanic that the reprogram actual allowed more stretch in the timing chain then the factory setting. So feel like they were trying to push the issue out past the warranty period. Never was told at dealer what the reprogram did or they were having issues with the timing chain. Nothing in manual stating to change timing chain at any point. Found out after the problem happened and GM basically says it my fault I should have changed the oil more. This could become a safety issue if you are on the highway and this happens.

- Voluntown, CT, USA

Sep 202013

Outlook 6-cyl

2007 Saturn Outlook with approximately 35670 miles on it suddenly began to jerk while driving down the street with 2 small children in the vehicle. I pulled over into a store parking space and was unable to shift into reverse to move the car. Had to be pushed out so that I could forward. GMC dealer discovered it was a broken 3.5R wave plate. After doing research I've discovered this exact problem is more widespread than GM is letting on (links below). GM is still not willing to acknowledge the extent of this problem which is affecting the Saturn Outlook, the GMC acadia and possibly other GM vehicles. Note: GM did cover the majority of the cost for this after 3 weeks of "negotiation" however, I believe this issue should be looked at for recall potential."topic=2396.0;all"@guest@

- Southern Pines, NC, USA

Sep 302013

Outlook 6-cyl

Car is bucking between 3rd and 4th gear. Sent it to dealer to be diagnosed. Could be wave plate problem that is common on this model car.

- Meriden, CT, USA

Sep 212013

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle failed to respond to acceleration attempts and when shifted into reverse, it would not engage. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and the mechanic stated that the transmission had to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 146,000.

- Mandeville, LA, USA

Sep 132013

Outlook 6-cyl

While driving vehicle at highway speeds the vehicle lost power and then slammed into gear which caused loss of speed and control. Transmission failed more precisely was the wave plate in the transmission.

- Lake Tapps, WA, USA

Sep 202010

Outlook 6-cyl

9/20/2010 - mileage - 77,245 - engine was straining; requested checkout by dealership, however, dealership could not duplicate the issue; dealership indicated a bulletin for hesitation in transmission, so they reprogrammed the transmission control module (tcm); repaired under owner's extended warranty. 06/02/2011 - mileage - 86,232 -- check engine light came on; transmission was not shifting gears properly; vehicle towed to dealership. Dealership indicated code P0776 was detected. Dealership found fluid was burnt and contaminated with metal; removed transmission and tear down; found 3/5/R wave plate broke and damaged several hard parts. Replaced reaction sun shell ad end cover. 3/5/R wave plate clutch housing; removed debris and replaced filter. Reassembled with new parts, reset taps, set toe flushed cooler lines; vehicle was repaired under owner's extended warranty. Dealer indicated repair would have been around $4,000 if costs were out-of-pocket. 09/04/2013 - mileage - 134,349 - check engine light came on; when taking off from stop light onto main road, engine jolted; transmission was not shifting properly into appropriate gears. Scheduled vehicle for appointment and had vehicle towed to dealership. Dealership indicated codes P0989, P0877, P0752, and P0700 were set on vehicle. In short, transmission control module issues. Cost of repair $1,250. GM provided assistance of $450. Cost to owner is $800 for repair. Vehicle is currently at dealership being repaired as of 09/11/2013. Vehicle has lost power while driving causing vehicle to be unsafe. There are too many transmission issues on this vehicle for a recall not to have occurred. It is not "just" for the consumer to come out of pocket every two years to band-aid a faulty transmission design.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Aug 172011

I bought the vehicle and one week later had a transmission failure. I was pulling out onto a road and the transmission quit working. The rpms would rev, but there was no power. Since then this has become a regular occurrence, and GM is not willing to help at all. I've spent thousands of dollars having parts replaced and I'm not comfortable driving my children in this car anymore.

- Hendersonville , NC, USA

Aug 312013

Outlook 6-cyl

We had just left clear springs recreation area in Mississippi and were heading West on hwy 84 as we slowed down to get ready to turn onto South hwy 33 the car suddenly jerked, downshifted and then the engine RPM's spiked. So drastic was our decrease in speed that cars behind us making the same turn were swerving to avoid us and each other. As we made the turn slowly as we didn't know at first what was going everything seemed to go back to normal, however as we began to accelerate the car would not shift out of 3rd and we could not above 35 mph without risking the engine due to high rpms. We then made a very slow drive home. After reading up on various forums I discovered that this is a known issue with the GM lambda models and forums and they have had a fix out for it for some time. The forums are littered with stories very similar to ours. GM needs to recall this and get it fixed before something terrible happens to an unsuspecting family like ours.

- Zachary, LA, USA

Jun 102013

Outlook 6-cyl

We purchased this 2007 Outlook back in April of this year. The dealership gave us a sheet that purported to indicate that the vehicle had gone through a full inspection and was clean. We live in North Florida and have had a lot of rain lately. Every time it rains, water gets into the doors and into the vehicle itself - we can hear it sloshing around in the doors and in the dash of the vehicle - and there will be water, as much as half an inch, on the floorboards of the vehicle. This is wreaking havoc with the electrical system, and sometimes there will be the smell of something burning. The fans, particularly in the back of the vehicle, are running intermittently; there is a crackling noise that comes through the radio speakers even when the radio system is turned off, and there is so much moisture in the vehicle that the windows fog, making it impossible to see, and the fog is difficult to clear even with the defrost system because it's not being caused by cool temperatures but rather by the moisture in the vehicle. Yesterday, I drove it to walmart and then home after work with no problems, parked it in our driveway, and didn't leave the house the rest of the day; this morning, we went outside, and when my husband put the key in the ignition to start the car, it wouldn't start at all, and then he couldn't get his key out of the ignition; we had to lock the doors manually and leave it there with the keys in it. Back in June, one of our local news stations reported on a recall of 194,000 GM SUVS for similar issues with water leaking into the doors and that GM would be contacting owners of affected models to bring their vehicles in for repairs, but we have not received any kind of notification from GM, and ours is obviously one of the vehicles affected.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Aug 212013

Outlook 6-cyl

Transmission issue. Erratic shifting, bucking, surging, down shifting to lower gear, hesitation, high engine sounds because tranny totally disengaged itself, no reverse, will not shift back up to higher or normal gear. I had bought the car used and two months later tranny issues began. I researched this issue for three hours the night my tranny broke down. I was absolutely amazed at how many other people experienced the exact same issues I had. ( thousands ). I researched the GM site, edmonds site just googled it and I could spend days proving that GM has a defective transmission and they are defrauding the public to cover their own ass. That and this only proves that GM has a major problem with this type of transmission and they are ignoring it. What is it going to take, an accident where someone or someone's child was hurt or killed. When my car started bucking and hesitating, the first placed I looked was in my rearview mirror to make sure no one was going to slam into the rear. Sure enough there was and it was a close call. Then when she passed me, she waved her hands in the air and gave me the finger. I`M not kidding. I`M only glad this was on a slower street than a highway cause it may have turned into something worse. This is a GM part that is being proven by numerous owners of the Outlook, acadia, enclave and traverse to be defective in design and quality. My research has proven to me also that between 35000 and 80000 miles, these trannys will breakdown. Hopefully, if and when the breakdown occurs, no one will get hurt. In closing, I am on a mission now to get GM to recall and have them correct this problem with their transmission, accept their responsibility and to stop ripping off the public.

- Chalfont , PA, USA

Apr 232013

I just purchased the vehicle. I went out of town with this vehicle and had to stop at some place I didn't know. They hooked the vehicle and found out it was a cylinder misfire. Within the first 2 weeks of purchasing the vehicle the check engine light came on. When found it out was a cylinder misfire I tried calling the dealership and letting them know what happened with the car. The place that checked cleared the service light. Less than two weeks later went to dealership and was informed that they would not check it because the light wasn't on. In July, a few months of having the vehicle than I had the stability track come on as well as the brake light. Went to dealership and they checked and told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it but the brake fluid was half empty. They put some brake fluid in vehicle and told me to go to GM. GM told me that it was the master booster cylinder without looking at the vehicle and told me it would be like almost $700 to fix it. So less than two weeks go by and I drove the vehicle and it was having a hard time before this with the car getting some gas. Beginning of Aug, I start driving it to church and the check engine light came on and the car was barely moving. It was in rpms of 4-5 and I was only going 60 mph, trying too. I had my niece and nephew in the car and they new something was wrong with the car. The car would barely go in reverse at this time. Now the car will not go in reverse at all. The car has only 55,654 miles on it. This is a safety issue and needs to be fixed and recalled.

- Vale , NC, USA

Jul 312013

Outlook 6-cyl

Was getting on I 80 in South bend in.,when transmission failed, on my way home from South Dakota, I live in pa, almost got hit by a tractor trailer, ,did some research and discovered this is a very common problem with this GM model,7 months out of warranty, had the hole family with, what a nightmare.

- Palmerton , PA, USA

Mar 022013

My wife and children were driving on the highway when the vehicle starting shuttering during acceleration. The rpms would increase without vehicle accelerations and sometimes the vehicle would jerk with acceleration. The vehicle continued to operate and my wife was able to complete the trip. The problem was obviously related to the transmission. When I delivered the vehicle to the transmission clinic (Colorado springs) the transmission guy told me what the symptoms were and the problem. I didn't have to say anything. He even quoted me an accurate estimate of the repair without looking at anything yet. It cost me $3200 for a vehicle with 84,000 miles on it. That doesn't include the letters and services for the windshield washer heater, the air bag sensors and the timing chain issue.

- Colorado Springs , CO, USA

Jul 122013

Right after pulling on to the interstate, I noticed the car would not get up to speed. When I pressed on the gas, it would make a grinding noise. I immediately slowed down. I then realized that the highest speed I could go was about 50. But soon I could only go about 15-25 mph, and I was stuck on the interstate at that speed. I inched along until I got to an exit. I immediately pulled over to check the fluids, oil, water, etc. My first thought was the transmission, by the way it was acting. I finally did get it home by driving only 20 mph at best. This happened Friday. My wife followed me on Monday and we dropped it off at the mechanics. I did do some research over the weekend and found that the wave plate on the 2007 Outlooks was a huge problem. Sure enough when the mechanic hooked it up to the machine, that's what code came up. Now its going to cost me a nice $4000 to fix.

- Moss Point, MS, USA

Jun 242013

Outlook 6-cyl

Vehicle shifted hard and shuddered. The wave plate and planetary gears had failed after only 95K miles needing a new transmission. While it thankfully didn't cause an accident, it had the potential to. It definitely felt unsafe and shouldn't have failed this soon.

- Springboro, OH, USA

Jun 292013

Outlook 6-cyl

My wife was driving down the highway when all of sudden when she hit the gas pedal there was no response, just a jerk and no engine response. She had to coast off the side of the road and let the car come to a resting stop. When she did that she tried to push the gas pedal again and the car had little to no response and the gear grind-ed. She put the car in reverse and the car wouldn't go in reverse at all. Tried putting the care in drive again and the car wouldn't respond or move forward, she ended up stuck on the side of the road and had to call for a toe. After doing a quick research online it seems this problem is very common with the Outlook, traverse, acadia and other models just like it. Hopefully this will end up becoming a recall problem as loosing your ability to drive and steer when going down the road is very dangerous, I'm just glad my wife wasn't on a major highway driving at a higher speed. Hopefully it won't take a major crash of fatality before this becomes recognized as a safety hazard.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA