NHTSA — Electronic Stability Control Problems

2.3

2008 Saturn Outlook brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Outlook:

2008 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments

Oct 112016

Outlook

"takata recall" having problems with stabilitrak affecting the brakes, transmission, and engine while driving on city street car now will not start.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Dec 182015

Outlook

The sunroof leaks when it is closed, and this is causing water to come in to the roof of the vehicle. Water is coming in from the front air bags, the windshield, under the dash, out of the garage door opener, the visor, and the back seat belts. I now have to replace the body control module which is related to the water damaging the unit. I am fearful the with the water getting in by the airbags that if I get into an accident they will malfunction. I have also been receiving messages about servicing the stabilitrac, but when I have had it looked at the mechanic can't find anything wrong, so this could also be related to the body control module.

- Albert Lea, MN, USA

Feb 112010

Outlook 6-cyl

I am writing this letter to express my disappointment with the Saturn Outlook. I purchased a 2008 Saturn Outlook xe from a local dealership in houston, tx. This car has been a nightmare. My list of problems/repairs: - it overheated twice. The first time it happened, I replaced the radiator cap. The second time it happened, I replaced the thermostat, which in turn caused the water pump to leak. - I replaced an engine solenoid valve. While inspecting my car, the mechanic also noticed I had a transaxle leak. - the throttle body shorted. - the brake master cylinder leaked. - I replaced the cv joints. Actually, the mechanic told me my front end needed repairing - cv joints, struts and steering bushing. I could only afford to repair the cv joints and am currently getting quotes for repairs on the struts. - I had an oil leak (from the oil pan). A car that is only 7 years old has had to have these kinds of repairs - and some within a couple of years of ownership. This is absolutely horrid! the NHTSA should google the reviews on this car. Owners complain of the same problems regardless of model/year (xe/xr, 2007-2010) - leaking roofs (luggage rack), brake master cylinder leaks, power steering issues, thermostat/water pump leaks, transmission issues, etc. GM's response to this has been abysmal. This car is a lemon. Instead of recalling it, GM would rather sparsely send recalls for specific failures a day late and a dollar short - after folks have spent their hard earned money on repairs. The NHTSA should launch an investigation into this. GM clearly covered up horrific supply chain, manufacturing and assembly issues and intentionally installed defective parts in these cars.

- Fresno, TX, USA

Jan 012014

Outlook 6-cyl

Jan 2014 had problems with stabilitrac / traction control and transmission entering expressway. The stabilitrac / traction control service soon light came on and then the car began shifting hard as we began to enter traffic, the car then started to lose power we got off the expressway in fear of being hit and went to the dealer were they found nothing wrong. The car continued to do this on and off for some time for the next few months. In June 2014 coming home from a soccer game I my wife our son and another player had this happen again while traveling 70mph on the US23 expressway, stabilitrac / traction control service light came on transmission started shifting hard and then the transmission lost the ability to engage, the car began to slow almost getting hit. (thank god we made it to a safe place) we replaced the transmission because of broken wave plates within the transmission. On 3/7/15 took car in again for stabiltrac / traction control same thing again is happening dealer found nothing wrong told us to bring back when lights are on. 3/14/15 lights came on again took in dealer was unable to find anything wrong. Service adviser there was no danger driving the car but that I might after time begin to loss power and may not be able to travel over 20mph. I explained the history to him his advice was to avoid the expressways. My fear is to die in this car when merging into expressway traffic. After reviewing many complaints about the transmission and traction control / stabilitrac on the internet about the following cars Saturn Outlook, GMC acadia, Chevy traverse and Buick enclave I hope that GM can come up with a fix before anyone has to die!

- Fenton, MI, USA

Apr 142014

Outlook 6-cyl

Approximately April of 2014 we had the first incident: While driving on the highway, at speed, the transmission seemed to "pop" into neutral (no change of gearshift lever, just engine revved). As the truck no longer had power, we managed (thank goodness) to get the truck to the shoulder avoiding highway traffic. Moved gearshift lever to park and then back to drive with no change - engine just revved as in neutral. Turned the truck off and called for a tow. While waiting for same, we turned the truck back on, and transmission seemed to function normally. Brought the truck to both wind gap Chevrolet (place of purchase) as well as an independent aamco - verdict was the same: Broken "wave plate" and a new transmission was needed at a cost of over $3000. Problem continues to this date. When we referenced the endless online complaints of same, GM was unmoved, although the power train warranty was still in effect. Very dangerous - lose power at highway speed with multiple close calls!!!! headlights: Headlights, both low and high beam, continually burn anywhere from minutes to days after being replaced. Switch assemblies have been replaced, cannot get low beams to illuminate at times, then no headlights at times. Very dangerous. Again, endless online complaints of the same issue. Sunroof: Endless issues with the sunroof leaking and soaking the floorboards on both drivers and passenger sides. Taken to wind gap Chevrolet, told we need to have sunroof replaced. Again, endless online complaints of the same issue. Based online and on this NHTSA site: It seems that these are serious and dangerous issues with this vehicle!!!!! recent headlight recall on similar vehicles for the same issue. Why is this vehicle not recalled for transmission/power train and headlight issues!"!"

- Stewartsville, NJ, USA

Apr 282014

Outlook 6-cyl

Recently having problems with the drivers side low beam headlight. When I took it in to the dealer to be looked at I was informed that the wiring harness had melted. To replace it will cost an upward of $400. Also having problems with the vehicles steering constantly squealing, not sure what is going on. And when going around turns the stability control makes a loud abrupt noise almost stopping the vehicle. I just can't believe all the problems I've been having with this vehicle in such the short amount of time I've owned it. I am a pregnant mother with 2 children already and I do not trust the safety of this vehicle!!

- Templeton, PA, USA

Jan 292014

Outlook

I was driving on the highway going 70 miles/hr and the chime went off and engine power is reduced and service stabilitrak traction control off flashed on my display as well as the check engine light. I started to lose power and cars were swerving around me with the sudden loss of speed and I was lucky I was not hit by another car. By the time I got over to the shoulder of the road I was going 40 miles/hr with the gas pedal pushed all the way down. The problem was diagnosed by a GM dealership as a timing chain issue. When I looked online it seems many people have had problems with the same issue. GM has informed me there was a recall for the 2007 Saturn Outlook and the 2009 Saturn Outlook but my 2008 Saturn Outlook was not under the same recall even though nothing is different in the 2008 from the 2007 or 2009, it has the same engine and the same timing chain that qualified the other years recalls.

- Liberty Township , OH, USA

Oct 012013

Outlook

While driving my car, I noticed the stabiltrak error message on the dash and a message to get my brakes serviced. I thought it would go away, but keep coming up. Took the car into the dealership and have to have the stabiltrak replaced. I have looked online and noticed that this is an issue with a lot of people. Seems like it should be looked into by GM. Can cause major problems with the car like turning over!

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Oct 092013

Outlook 6-cyl

Our Saturn Outlook has had problems that have accumulated more recently that include the steering box failing (audible popping when near neutral steering position), the electronic stability control and brake simultaneous lights with feedback in the brake pedals (even when ABS is not active), and a very annoying weather/water leak from an unknown source that is soaking the passenger carpet after every single rain. None of these items were covered under warranty, and I'm returning the car for the second time tomorrow to the dealership to investigate the leak (again) and the stability control. I already replaced the steering box, out of pocket, for over $1000. We just paid the car off and bought it new in 2008. It barely has 50,000 miles on it, and this is not a quality product. The ride, handling, interior features/space are outstanding, but there are too many faults for such a new(er) car. I also replaced the water pump a few months ago, but that was at the tail end of my warranty (now expired). After only 5 years and 50,000 miles, I'm looking at expensive monthly payments for a new vehicle to replace what should have lasted at least another 5 years comfortably without major defects. It's no wonder Saturn went out of business and that GM has nearly failed so many times...

- Killeen, TX, USA

Jun 022011

Outlook 6-cyl

Electrical failure- the headlights operate intermittently and produces a safety issue. I was ticketed in March for no headlights then 3 days later it started working. Now 2 days ago it went out again. Prior to this, I informed the dealer that our radio and driver side passenger window operated intermittently as well but they could not troubleshoot the problem at the time, as if worked well. It appears to be a consistent problem with GM cars and we need an intervention.

- Albany, CA, USA