Burned Oil Excessively Until It Cracked A Piston

1. replaced engine (1 reports)
1996 Saturn SL1 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Saturn SL1:

1996 Saturn SL1 Owner Comments

Jul 062006

SL1

Unbelievable!! I was putting oil in the car every other day. I detected no leaks. The engine finally went on me 3 days ago. I have never owned a car that drank oil like this. I did not hear that Saturns had this type of problem until after it happened to me. Everyone told me I was buying a reliable car! I now hear that this happens a lot to older saturns. They have a habit of building up carbon on the pistons. A mechanic told me that putting a light oil in the spark plug holes, running the engine for a few minutes, then draining, and changing the oil will break up this build-up. I wish I would have known this sooner.

- , Holland, NY, USA