Excessive Oil Consumption

7.0

1999 Saturn SL2 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Saturn SL2:

1999 Saturn SL2 Owner Comments

Sep 012009

SL2

My vehicle ALWAYS required no less than 1 quart of oil between oil changes. (I did them every 3000 miles) Toward the end, the engine would burn so much oil, I would be down 3 quarts between changes. There was never any leakage I could see and I took it to a few places and they were not sure what the problem was and just told me to "monitor it". Eventually, with the sub zero temps in Iowa mixed with the oil leakage and the oil congealing, the engine siezed up. It cost me $80 to get it to the shop and $120 for them to tell me the engine was blown and I needed to spend $4500 to get a new engine. Other than that, it wasnt a bad car.

- , Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Jan 232009

SL2 SL2 1.9L. 4 cyl. Dohc

THIS IS MY GF'S CAR. SATURN SL2 1.9 DOHC. ABOUT EVERY 3 WEEKS OR EVERY MONTH SHE NEEDS ABOUT A QUART OF OIL ADDED. THIS IS VERY ANNOYING B/C I NEVER SMELL OR SEE BURNING OIL ANYWHERE. UNDERCARRIAGE IS SPOTLESS!! ITS BEEN LIKE THIS SINCE THE CAR WAS PURCHASED ABOUT A YEAR AGO. OIL IS EXPENSIVE AND ITS A PAIN IN THE BUTT TO HAVE TO ALWAYS CONSTANTLY CHECK. I AM THINKING THAT MAYBE THE PISTON RINGS OR A VALVE SEAL IS WORN OUT. POSSIBLY A BREATHER TUBE FROM VALVE COVER TO INTAKE SUCH AS PCV VALVE. IF ANYONE FIGURES THIS OUT FOR SURE LETS GET SOME ANSWERS PLEASE!! THANK YOU.

- , Midbrg, OH, USA