2001 Subaru Forester engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Subaru Forester:

2001 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Apr 232005

I'm embarrassed to drive my car. Why? Because it sounds like a rattle trap. When I drive it by pedestrians, they turn and look to see what is making such a noise. I understand from the dealer that this a is standard problem with Subaru. I was also told once the car warms up, it will not create such a clacking noise. However, it never stops. It is constant. Other owners have told me to try switching to a heavier weight oil. That is what I'm going to try and I'll report back.

- , Cullowhee, NC, USA

Mar 272002

According to their documents, Subaru has been aware of this problem since 1997; However Subaru has failed to fully disclose this matter to prospective purchasers. Consequently, the new purchaser will perhaps not become aware of the problem until the car has 12 - 20,000 miles. Subaru then tells the customer that their engineers cannot fix the problem. Should we, as prospective purchasers, be fully apprised of a possible annoyance prior to the purchase of the vehicle? I think so. That information would give us the option to purchase, with notice of the problem, or opt not to purchase the vehicle. Are there any other persons out there with similar complaints?

- , Alexandria, VA, USA