2002 Subaru Impreza suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Subaru Impreza:

2002 Subaru Impreza Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 042016

Impreza

I brought my Subaru Impreza 2001 wagon in for oil change into my Subaru service on 11/4/2016. I was informed that the front subframe was rusty and they could stick a screw driver through a hole. I was able to leave with the car but they were concerned for the future and recommended repairing if we are keeping the car. I have already had the control arm replaced before the control arm recall on this model due to excessive rust; luckily it broke in a parking lot and not at high speed. This is logically the same issue where the front subframe part did not get treated well enough just like the control arm that caused the recall. Please make Subaru cover this as a recall. I would like to keep this car for more years to come, but the cost of the subframe part, that should not be this rusted out, is as much as the blue book value of the car. Plus I searched up "subframe" here on the site for Subaru from 2000 through 2005 and found 31 complaints; and that is obviously people that took the time to come to this site. How many complaints does it take to hold a car company accountable for a defect that is clearly the same issue as another part that has already been recalled?

- Waltham, MA, USA

Sep 102016

Impreza

The contact owns a 2002 Subaru Impreza. While turning into the driveway at approximately 2 mph, the front passenger side wheel collapsed from the axle and fractured. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the lower control arm was rusted and fractured without warning. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and referred the contact to a local dealer. The manufacturer stated that there was no recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 71,000.

- Boone, NC, USA

Feb 012016

Impreza

The contact owns a 2002 Subaru Impreza. The contact stated that while driving at 15 mph, the front passenger side lower control arm suddenly failed causing the passenger side of the vehicle to lower. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the lower control arm had fractured. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 11V464000 (suspension) but the failure persisted. The contact also indicated that there was a fuel odor present while operating the vehicle. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed of repaired. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Holyoke, MA, USA

Feb 082016

Impreza

Recent tire rotation at my local garage identified very badly corroded subframe on the right had side. The left side subframe appears fine. I am debating whether to get it repaired because I will cost roughly 50% of the cars value. From a safety perspective I will probably get the work carried out because my kids travel in the car and I don't want a catastrophic failure to occur. It's disappointing that Subaru didn't consider this issue at the same time as the control arm recall although perhaps there was no corrosion at the time.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Dec 192015

Impreza

Vehicle had recall campaign for rust on front lower control arms performed (among the first cars fixed in the campaign), and the lower control arms and lower subframe are badly rusted, rendering the car unsafe. Subaru dealer recommended contacting Subaru of America (soa) and soa declined to help at all. This is a failed recall repair, since the problem is exactly what it was recalled for.

- Chester, NJ, USA

Dec 102015

Impreza

The contact owns a 2002 Subaru Impreza. The contact stated that while reversing from a parking space, there was a loud noise. The contact discovered that the front passenger side wheel was not in place and the lower control arm was fractured in half. The vehicle was left at a parking lot. The contact also stated that the vehicle was repaired in 2012 for a recall on the lower control arm issued by the manufacturer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 203,000.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Sep 292015

Impreza

The contact owns a 2002 Subaru Impreza. The contact stated that while in park, the contact noticed that the front driver side control arm had slightly detached from the vehicle due to corrosion. The contact, a certified mechanic, diagnosed that the lower control arm needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 11V464000 (suspension). The failure mileage was 131,390.

- Martins Ferry, OH, USA

Jan 082015

Impreza 4-cyl

Took my car in for tires and along with bad wheel bearing, I was told by the mechanic that the front subframe was almost rotted out. As I live in a cold snowy area and I often drive my grandchildren around in this vehicle, I'd like to know what is being done about this" I see that there are other owners of the same model, year, make that have similar complaint. I am also very upset that I was sold this car in 01/12 and was not informed of the front control arm recall. 5 months after I bought this car, I had to have this replaced. It was in the shop for 2 days, the parts had to be ordered from a Subaru dealer, why was I not informed of this problem at that time either"

- Hull, MA, USA

Dec 012013

Impreza

The contact owns a 2002 Subaru Impreza. The contact stated that the rear suspension was exhibiting corrosion. The vehicle was previously serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 11V464000 (suspension). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000 and the current mileage was 168,000.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Mar 142014

Impreza

The right front control arm sheered in half while driving at speed. Later inspection revealed it was due to corrosion. A recall was issued for this exact same part on September 10, 2011, and the recall was complied with on this car in 2012, yet the part still failed in a dangerous condition less than two years later.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Dec 212013

Impreza 4-cyl

The 2002 Subaru Impreza is subject to a recall on its control arms (NHTSA campaign number: 11V464000). Our car's passenger side control arm corroded to the point of failure about 1.5 years ago. Now we have discovered the same level of corrosion on a nearby part, also on the front passenger side. We discovered that the engine cradle (aka K-frame, aka front crossmember) is showing severe corrosion, similar to that shown by the control arm that previously corroded through and broke on our car. Our understanding is that it is hard to predict what would happen should this part fail, but would pose a significant danger particularly if it happened at high speed. The similarity between the corrosion of our control arms and now our engine cradle exceeds that of normal wear and tear. This was the reason that the control arms were previously recalled.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Nov 092013

Impreza 4-cyl

When I took out the underneath plastic cover below the engine for cleaning purposes, I saw severe rust on the" sub-frame" where both lower arms are attach to it.I went to the Subaru dealer for inspection on Nov. 9, 2013. They told me that, it is not in the recall list, so I will need to pay for the costly repairs.when I ask one of the associates if it safe to drive, he said no, it is not safe to drive and also if collision occurs. They scheduled my car for free estimates on Nov.11,2013. No accident this time.I just want to drive my car safe.please help me, thanks

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 012013

Impreza

The contact owns a 2002 Subaru Impreza. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel became uncontrollable. Upon inspection, it was found that the driver's side front wheel was abnormally angled inward. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle was inspected by the dealer under NHTSA campaign number 11V464000 (suspension) five months prior to the failure and the contact was informed that no repair was necessary. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The vehicle was being repaired. The failure mileage was 168,000.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Nov 042012

Impreza

The contact owns a 2002 Subaru Impreza. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign id number: 11V464000 (suspension:front:control arm:lower arm) and was taken to the dealer for the recall repairs. The technician advised that the front lower control arm would not have to be replaced. Instead, the technician added rust proof to the front lower control arm. Approximately one month later while driving approximately 25 mph, the contact heard a banging and grinding sound coming from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician advised that the front lower control arm separated and fractured the sway bar linkages. The wheel was pushed inward into the wheel well, causing body damage to the vehicle. The technician advised the contact the lower control arm, bushings and sway bar linkages would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 159,500.

- Concord, NH, USA

Jan 172012

Impreza

The contact owns a 2002 Subaru Impreza. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 11V464000 (suspension:front:control arm:lower arm). The contact stated that the dealer bolted the recalled component to the sub-frame, which was rusted. The contact was concerned that the vehicle could separate from the wheels due to the stress on the rusted component. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 103,000 and the current mileage was 104,000.

- Lingonier, PA, USA

Aug 272011

Impreza 4-cyl

While pulling into my driveway at about 3-5 mph in August 2011, the right front lower control arm broke due to corrosion. When this happened it broke the sway bar links that connect to the control arm. The mechanic that specializes in Subaru in my area found that the sub frame was also rotted out due to corrosion (the control arms bolt to the sub frame). He replaced the sub frame, both left & right lower control arms, and both left & right sway bar links in order to get back to a road safe vehicle. In November 2011 I was notified by Subaru that there was a recall campaign wvx-34, NHTSA recall no.11V-464 for the lower control arms. I submitted all necessary information under paragragh titled "if you have previously paid for a repair" and never heard from Subaru (they said "it may take up to 60 days"). after 90+ days I emailed them only to find out on Feb 21, 2012, "I had the opportunity to review your claim and unfortunately, it appears that your request for reimbursement was denied based on the fact that the part that was replaced is not an affected component of this recall." I responded, " please review the repair order again. Both lower control arms were replaced ( the right actually broke and the left was rusted through) that is exactly what the recall is about. It was further found that the sub frame was also rotted through. The control arms bolt to the sub frame, so just replacing the control arms would not have made the vehicle road worthy." I received a check for $723 with no explanation what was being covered (it cost me $1449.36 for repairs). I called Subaru and was told that covered both lower control arms and $100 towing. I again asked for the claim to be reviewed and they said they would now pay for the links but not the sub frame. You can't safely bolt new control arms to a rotten subframe. Subaru needs to inspect and repair this also and pay!!!

- Plattsburgh, NY, USA

Dec 152011

Impreza

The contact owns a 2002 Subaru impreeza WRX. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 11V464000 (suspension:front:control arm:lower arm). In addition to the repairs, the dealer stated that the subframe also needed to be replaced due to corrosion. The manufacturer was notified, but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 290,000 and the current mileage was unknown.

- Nicktown, PA, USA

Dec 282011

Impreza 4-cyl

Extreme corrosion of front sub-frame. Fast onset. No sign of issue and then approx. Less than 1 year later total penetrating corrosion was visible in an area of it. Was noticed during completion of an existing safety recall due to excessive corrosion and failure of the lower control arms. Can provide digital photos of the issue upon request.

- Nicktown, PA, USA

Jul 152010

Impreza 4-cyl

Rt control arm failed while my daughter was North bound on the West side highway in nyc. She was able to control car and exit highway. Inspection by my mechanic indicated the part had rusted away. I had him replaced both as I intended to trade it in and I didn't want to endanger anyone who might get the car. Car was traded in for a new Subaru in August 2010.

- Katonah, NY, USA

Oct 272011

Impreza

The contact owns a 2002 Subaru Impreza. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for routine maintenance when the technician advised that the front lower control arm was corroded. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 11V464000 (suspension:front:control arm:lower arm) but was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA