1. replace head gaskets with Six Star gaskets (2 reports)
1999 Subaru Legacy cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Subaru Legacy:

1999 Subaru Legacy Owner Comments

May 112011

Legacy SUS 4 cyl

This engine has had oil leaks before it went out of warranty. It would leave puddles of oil in the garage floor. Put a tray there to catch the oil. Enough to pour it back in every week.

I Took it in to repaired for oil leaks at mileage 150,000, mechanic said, "Forget it. You need a new engine."

Not too long after that it began to overheat. To a Mechanic who said, "Forget it. You need a new engine." Diagnosed with probably 2 blown or leaking head gaskets.

UGH. Can't afford a new engine.

It's been sitting for a LONG time in my driveway. I start it and drive it for about 15 minutes and return it to its resting place. I would like to get it fixed for my son to drive. But not about to spend $2,000+ on it.

Enough of the whining.

- , Signal Mountain, TN, USA

Feb 012011

Legacy GT 2.5L

I am the third owner and bought it at 92k miles in Feb. '11. Overheating @ 102k miles on the 2.5L GT which is around the same time others online started having the same problem. I have tried changing to a new OEM thermostat and doing a radiator flush at Jeffy Lube with no luck. I've also tried those liquids you pour into the radiator overflow with no luck. After doing a research I found that SIX STAR head gaskets were the best replacement over the Subaru OEM gaskets. I order it from ($118). It is best to have the cylinder heads machined, water pump replaced & all the timing belt pulley & timing belt replaced when doing the head gasket. After that was done I didn't have no more over heating problems. DON'T BUY CHEAP head gaskets because you'll end up replacing it in about 20k miles. That's another $1500-2,000 job you don't want to pay for again. I highly recommend buying SIX STAR head gaskets!!! I'm still running my '99 Legacy GT and its at 118k miles as of April '12.

- , Oakdale, MN, USA