1. replace sensor (1 reports)
2000 Subaru Legacy exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Subaru Legacy:

2000 Subaru Legacy Owner Comments

Feb 212005

O2 sensor failed, conveniently at the dealer. Car was taken in for oil pan leak repair. Upon leaving I noticed Check Engine light lit. Went back in and described problem. Service man said OH Jodie (I think the mechanic) . I had to leave so wife stayed with car. I was thinking maybe O2 sensor wire came off. Well when she got home she told me they had to put on a new sensor and sometimes they just fail. She paid for the part ($127) and they felt bad so the ate the labor ($97). I dont know if it's because we live in the Northeast or what but to screw in a new sensor, plug it in and reset the computer shouldn't cost $97 no way no how. Obviously the light is out. I called ready to ream but couldn't find the service manager (think he knew what was coming). All I got from the poor phone fodder they sent me was that they just sometimes fail like that. I responded "So am I to believe Subaru really makes such a piece of crap that rubbing against it makes it fail? If so I better not slid across the seat or God knows what else will break. I would say to really steer clear of the 2.5 L engine in the 2000 there was a big recall regarding head gasket issues which by the way was the first dealings I had with the local dealer and it has been all downhill since then.

- , Brattleboro, VT, USA