CarComplaints.com Notes: A relatively dependable vehicle that handles well in bad weather, but increasing concerns about turbo failure in the GT probably means you should look elsewhere if you want a car with a little pep in its step.

2005 Subaru Legacy seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Subaru Legacy:

2005 Subaru Legacy Owner Comments

Jan 182016

Legacy

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2005 Subaru Legacy. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V343000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Sep 122016

Legacy

Takata recall. The contact owned a 2005 Subaru Legacy. While driving highway speeds, the contact swerved to the right to prevent a crash. As a result, the vehicle went down an embankment and crashed into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the head, chest, back, and internal bruising. The contact received medical treatment. The vehicle was towed to a yard and deemed destroyed. The vehicle was not diagnosed to determine why the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact later received notification for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V311000 (service brakes, hydraulic) and 15V323000 (air bags). The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- North Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Jun 012016

Legacy 6-cyl

2005 Subaru outback. Consumer writes in regards to replacement parts not available to repair airbag recall.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Feb 152016

Legacy

The contact owns a 2005 Subaru Legacy. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 15V323000 (air bags) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Reno, NV, USA

Legacy

I called the Subaru dealer in newark, de (matt slap) to have the recall done on my car. I have called three times in over three months and they still haven't scheduled or called me back to have the recall done. I feel that 3+ months is plenty of time to get the parts needed to do the job but, their excuse is always "we don't have the parts".

- Newark, DE, USA

Apr 152016

Legacy

Taka recall. Received recall notice in February. No further communication. Called local Subaru dealer. They have no idea when parts will be in. Called the phone number on the notice (800-782-2783). No option at all to speak with anyone. Called auto safety hotline. The rep tried calling the same number and had the same results. The rep gave me the phone number of office of traffic safety, region 8, 303-757-9381. Busy signal for hours. Someone needs to take responsibility for T his safety hazard. I'm surprised that Subaru is not communicating, and actually blocked communication about the issue. I'm getting nowhere, and in the meantime my car could be a death trap.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Feb 152016

Legacy

Takata inflators: The manufacturer is taking a long time to fix this serious safety problem. I got my notice in February 2016, and it is now April and I have not been notified that the dealers have parts to fix my vehicle. This is too long.

- Needmore, PA, USA

Feb 012016

Legacy

Subaru issued a recall on the 2005-2008 Legacy and outback due to an inflator in the front passenger air bag needing to be replaced. For free. Fine....there is a shortage of parts and we are expected, and I quote to "not allow passengers to ride in the front passenger seat" this is a safety hazard it says in all caps and "in the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the front passenger air bag, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking vehicle occupants and potentially causing serious injury or death." My local dealership said it could be a year before we are in line to receive parts. Could cause death to sit in the front seat. Why are we not given loaner cars" how is there a shortage of an inflator? this is unacceptable and a potential for death to myself and riders"

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Jan 012016

Legacy

Trying to set up an appointment for a recall

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Jan 042016

Legacy

Takata recall I contacted not one, but all of my local Subaru dealers in the first week of January to find out which had the shortest wait time for the recall, which they told me was 2 weeks. When I called back 3 weeks later, they told me it was backordered and "don't call us, we'll call you." It is now 5 weeks after that, I've been told by Subaru that there's no date for when the parts will be in, and my car is unsafe to drive. I have a job; if I can't drive my car, then I need a rental provided to me in the mean time, free of charge. Leaving people for an indeterminate period of time with an unsafe vehicle and no alternative is unconscionable.

- New Paltz, NY, USA

Feb 182016

Legacy

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2005 Subaru Legacy. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V323000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Legacy

Takata recall: I'm writing to complain about Subaru's handling of the takata inflators. I called my local dealer today to set up an appointment to remedy the passenger airbag problem and was told there would be a delay of 2-3 months before Subaru will have the fix available. The email I had received stated that I should not let anyone use the front passenger set during that time. That is unrealistic. Then when I went to this website to file a complaint about the delay, I noticed that as of a few days ago, the driver side airbag is also being recalled. If this means no one can drive the car for 2-3 months, this is even worse than the original problem. My suggestion would be that Subaru give me a car to use for 3 months, until they can fix both airbag problems. Thanks for any action you can take with these problems.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Legacy

I rec'd notification that the front passenger air bag inflator needs to be replaced, but the parts aren't currently available. In the meantime, I was advised to not let a passenger sit in the front. That's a difficult advisory with which to comply. Can't the front passenger air bag inflator be de-activated for the time being" has this possibility been considered" I've also written to Subaru about this situation. Thanks, joe

- Clifton, PA, USA

Jan 242015

Legacy 4-cyl

Veh. Was traveling at approx. 25mph up a low incline on slushy paved 2 lane surface. Veh. Broke traction spun sideways and travelled sideways into brush and striking a tree in the driver. Side front fender (side impact). Drivers head struck and broke drvrs. Door window. Drvr. Sustained several facial lacerations requiring plastic surgery and resulting in probable scarring. Front seat passenger sustained right leg injury resulting in severe bruising and swelling. Both were treated in an emergency room and released. Veh. Is equipped with side curtain airbags which did not deploy. If deployed, the drvr. Side airbag would have prevented the drvrs. Injuries.

- Wyoming, RI, USA

Dec 092013

Legacy

The contact owns a 2005 Subaru Legacy outback. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, he attempted to avoid a crash and haphazardly traveled over an ice patch. The contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into an embankment. The front and side curtain air bags failed to deploy. The front passenger sustained injuries to the back, hip and pelvis. The contact suffered injuries to the body as well. A police report was filed of the incident. The vehicle was towed to the contact's home and had not been inspected to determine the cause of the air bag failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 100,000.

- Carney , OK, USA

Jan 122006

Legacy 4-cyl

: the contact stated while driving the vehicle was hit on the front passenger side, near the bumper and wheel. The other vehicle impacted the vehicle at 40 mph. The airbags did not deploy and the engine did not shut off. The manufacturer determined due to the angle of impact the airbags should not deploy. The contact was wearing a seatbelt, but sustained whiplash. There was a police report taken at the scene. The vehicle was towed to the dealership.

- San Antonio, TX, USA