2010 Subaru Legacy engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Subaru Legacy:

2010 Subaru Legacy Owner Comments

Dec 072014

I had a major safety issue with my 2010 Subaru Legacy while driving on the freeway. The car was doing approximately 50 mph and I accelerated to change lanes and all of a sudden the car lost all power and eventually came to a complete halt right in the middle of fast moving traffic. I turned on my hazard light, put the car to park and restarted. The car would start but would shut down slowly in the next 2-3 seconds even before I could put it to drive and accelerate. I noticed that all the lights in the dash like traction control, check engine, etc all lit up and the car just slowly died. After trying it one more time (with same results) I shut off the car completely and started calling aaa for towing. After about a minute when I tried to re-start the car, it sprang up to life normally (I.e. without a slow shut-down like the prior two times) and accelerated when I put it to drive like nothing had happened. I was then able to get off the freeway for safety and popped the hood to see if there was anything on the surface that I could find wrong. Everything looked fine, I was even able to get back home all on the freeway normally. I tried to stay on the right lane and simulate the same (I.e. doing decent speed and then accelerating), but everything was normal. Sunday being mandatory dealership closures in NJ I was not able to bring it to the dealership. The whole incident was completely random and was needless to say extremely dangerous and stressful. I have contacted Subaru of America and waiting for their response. In the interim I wanted to post this to NHTSA in case other such incidents have been reported.

- Secaucus, NJ, USA

Nov 192014

Legacy 6-cyl

On Wednesday, November 19, 2014 my son left for work at his usual time and started the Subaru. Immediately, the engine roared at full throttle, and the vehicle took off down the street, where it jumped the curb and crashed into a tree at 45 mph. Distance traveled was less than 400 feet from where it started. Based on an eyewitness account, it is presumed that the vehicle suffered an unintended acceleration mechanical issue outside of the driver's control. Emergency service personnel arrived within minutes, and he was taken to the major metro-area 833 bed hospital (level 1 trauma center) where he was admitted to critical care. He died peacefully and without pain on Wednesday afternoon, November 26, 2014, at age 37. Subaru of America was notified of this incident on Friday, November 21, 2014; a detailed description, police crash report, and 18 pictures were provided, with a request for them to inspect the totaled vehicle and download available information from the black box recorder/event data recorder. (note: As of today, November 29, 2014 no action has been taken).

- Vienna, VA, USA

Jun 052013

My Subaru is equipped with cvt, when fuel is appealed engine revs, pause, then drop in rev and acceleration. This is a safety concern when passing, cornering, or any other point when in a rolling start.

- Wise, VA, USA

Sep 242009

Subaru 2010 Legacy 3.6 has a dealer- acknowledged severe hesitation in acceleration. The car fails to accelerate when the gas pedal is initially engaged, there is a prolonged hesitation and then the car lurches forward unpredictably. It's particularly severe in a slow rolling situation such as accelerating upon turning at an intersection. The car simple "can't get out of it's own way" in a timely, reliable and predictable fashion. Dealer was notified within the week of sale, acknowledged that Subaru of America was aware of the problem and promised to do something about it. No remedy appears to be forthcoming (or even known) by Subaru of America.

- Saratoga Springs, NY, USA