4.5

2013 Subaru Legacy engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Subaru Legacy:

2013 Subaru Legacy Owner Comments

Jul 292016

Legacy

Oil consumption. I continue to have a problem with this car. Consumes a quart of full synthetic oil every 3000 miles. I received paperwork about a clas action lawsuit which outlines the problem. It's ridiculous; they expect me to produce every receipt for the oil I've purchased over the last 3 years if I want to be reimbursed! dealer still says it's "normal"; I have never had any car burn a quart of oil every 3000 miles regardless of make, age or condition. Naturally, every time this happens I'm on the road any from home so I have to add oil to ensure that I get home ok. Really getting perturbed with the lack of action from the dealer. Noticed you have info about the problem on your site but I have never heard anything about a recall from my dealer.

Mar 052016

Legacy

Vehicle burns a quart of synthetic oil every 2800'miles. Dealership says that's normal. I say there is a problem with the oil consumption.

Jun 192015

Legacy

Issue: Sudden unintended acceleration. 2013 Subaru Legacy. First occurrence when slowly pulling into driveway. Car surged forward with high engine revs. Dealer applied software update, but problem occurred again one month later when slowly driving up to a mail box at the post office. This latest time, car was slowly moving forward - and then 3 high engine revs and surged forward before I turned off the ignition. When I restarted the car, the same thing happened - with the high engine revs and surging forward. After letting the car sit for a few minutes, I was able to start the car and drive the car normally. If there had been another car in front of me, I would have plowed into that car. This is a very unsafe condition. Dealer now has the car and is attempting to re-create the problem.

- North Royalton, OH, USA

Jan 102014

Legacy

Since the vehicle was purchased I had to add at least one quart of oil to the engine between each recommended oil change. I informed the dealer who had me return approx 1300 miles after my last oil change, which I did. The dealer indicated to me that the oil level was fine. By 3,700 miles the oil warning light came on and I had to add a quart of oil. The Subaru has approx 24,550 miles. I have never owned a vehicle where I had to add oil prior to scheduled oil change.

- Old Saybrook, CT, USA

Oct 012014

Legacy

The vehicle has a cvt transmission. While driving the vehicle when the speed has stabilized above 40 mph the engine RPM runs at 1750 -1800. Mileage was in the area of 37-40 mpg. I noticed mileage dropping and the engine RPM was settling about 2000-2100. After some research I found out the the only way I could get the RPM to drop into the normal range was to turn off the heater fan or turn the temp to the coldest setting and the RPM would drop from the 2000 range to normal about 1750. There was no other way to make the RPM drop to this range. Contact Subaru and they advised this was normal. I asked the contact person if this was your vehicle would you consider this normal. She said no. So I have been pursing this through Subaru with no results. Its dangerous to have to shift the vehicle with the heater controls. I need help in this matter.

- Iron River, MI, USA

Oct 232013

Legacy 4-cyl

In 2012 December, I purchased a Subaru Legacy,2013, from rye Ford & Subaru. The car has been burning oil in the engine. I have brought my car to the Subaru Legacy dealership many times in an effort to prevent the car from burning oil. At the dealership they changed the block and piston rings, and at the last oil change they reported that every 1000 miles 3 ounces of oil burns. They advised me to carry couple of quarts of oil in the car each time I drive. This problem continues to persist, each time I drive my car. I called the main office in New Jersey and demanded a new car or re-fund for the car I purchased. The main office stated that they would not be able to provide a refund for my car. Within the past two years the dealership has repaired my car several times, but the problem still continues. I have been carrying the additional quarts of oil with me while I drive, but it is not the experience I was looking for when I purchased my Subaru vehicle. I expect to be comfortable and secure when driving my car and my experience with this car has been anything but that. It is very dangerous and I feel unsafe driving this vehicle because it burns oil. My question here is, what good is it to continue to repair a car, when the car has some basic engine trouble, which the dealership cannot diagnose? the problem still remains and my safety is at risk. I am also not comfortable opening the hood, pouring the oil, and watching the odometer all the time to see the mileage on the car. That is not the purpose of buying a new car. The customer should not be put in a position of constantly going back and forth to a car dealership especially when the dealership has already tried to solve this issue and failed to do so. Please understand my situation and please advise the Subaru company to give me a new car with their gold warranty, or refund the purchase price. Updated 4/7/2016

- Ardsley, NY, USA

Sep 062013

Legacy

Low oil warning light came on. Took vehicle to dealer. They told me it was normal. At 10,500 miles, same thing happened. Like clockwork, every 3,000 miles the light goes on and I'm down at least a quart of oil. This has happened every 3,000 miles since then. I've been driving for 50+ years and have never had any vehicle, foreign or domestic, use a quart of oil every 3,000 miles no matter how old or new the car was. Being told this is "normal" is ridiculous. There must be flaw in the 2.5L boxer engine produced by Subaru.