2015 Subaru Legacy miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Subaru Legacy:

2015 Subaru Legacy Owner Comments

Jul 052016

Replacing the windshield 3 times already in a 2 year period. No chips are created from small interactions with object like little stones but immediate cracks. The vehicle was in stationary and moving positions on a street and higway. Makes me wonder what is going to happen if there would be more serious collision than just a small rock.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Jan 172016

Windshield cracks from edges. No noticeable chips. Crack started with rock hits. Possible defective glass.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 202015

May 8th 2015 we purchased our 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5I premium. #1. very prominent coolant smell from passenger side engine area. Loosing coolant. #2. 600 miles- transmission/ ECU /throttle delay, a 3-5 sec delay in the response when going from (R) into (D) and the same 3-5 sec delay is duplicated when going from a stop to accelerating the car. Concerning. #3 3000 miles, loud wind noise is heard from all windows. Windows were replaced by dealer, but noise still exists. #4 the gas door will not release and continues to get stuck. #5 8,500 miles- excessive water entering into engine bay. While driving the engine bay gets completely soaked with water. Standing water in the battery tray, a river of water running down the inner fender walls inside the engine bay and water is entering into the fuse box. When engine gets wet it has a burning electrical smell. Water has also been found on the drivers side floorboard an in the spare tire area of trunk. #6 2,200 miles starting/motor concerns. The car will crank over, but doesn't start. The second attempt the car starts up and dies immediately. 3rd attempt car fires off an associated with bad gas smell/ rough running. The most recent time this happened to us (12/12/15), 1st attempt the car wouldn't start, 2nd time trying to start the car is fired up then died. 3rd attempt car started up running rough w/ a bad gas odor. It's associated w/ backfiring / popping sound through the exhaust. Recently has developed a low end sound/knock in motor between 1800 and 2200 rpms. #7 11,500 miles brake pedal goes to floor. Pedal isn't holding pressure. Vehicle pulls to the right an associated with a clunking sound coming from the right front wheel.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Oct 022015

Jack failed. After lifting my car to change the tire the jack collapsed, while trying to lift it more.

- Hamden, CT, USA

Jul 152015

Gas lid would not release after pulling the lever. This has happened mulitiple times prior without me realizing it was a problem because the second time I pulled the lever it would release - this last time it would not release even after multiple pulls - I had to push the gas door forward with the palm of my hand and then pry open

- White Plains, NY, USA

Jun 212015

Within a month of buying a brand new Subaru Legacy 2015, my windshield spontaneous cracked while driving on an open-air interstate away from other cars. At first I thought maybe a pebble hit the windshield, but upon later inspection I could not find a distinct starting point for the crack in the windshield crack (no dents or places where something might have hit my car). The crack initiated from the very bottom of the middle of the windshield and extended about 6-8 inches from the bottom of the windshield.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 162015

The gas lid wouldn't open when the lever was pulled. I had to take it back to the dealer for it to get fixed.

- Washington, DC, USA

May 132015

Just purchased this car (2015 Subaru Legacy premium) a month ago. Am getting water into the engine compartment from merely car washing and I assume from rain as well. This is due from the lack of proper weather stripping on both the right and left side of the hood. My dealership has been advised and I am awaiting to hear if any resolution. The following was listed on a website from another current owner: 2015 Legacy - water / snow entering top of engine bay & burning smell hi fellow 2015 Legacy owners. Has anyone else discovered this design / safety / mechanical defect yet? I live in the northeast usa; owned my 2015 Legacy for about 3 months, and have been smelling the engine burning since I purchased. At first, the dealer said the smell was caused by the rustproofing sprayed on the exhaust, however during a snow storm I discovered snow & water entering the top of my engine bay, drenching / flooding over electrical & mechanical components and causing the toxic burning smell from the burn off of deicing chemicals / salts used on road surfaces entering the engine bay due to a lack of weather stripping. My dealer inspected my car last week and confirmed the lack of installed weather stripping and water entering the engine bay as an issue. They confirmed all 2015 Legacys are designed this way. They submitted a eqmr (electronic quality monitoring report) to Subaru of America; no response yet. (the dealer sends the eqmr to Subaru when they encounter an issue that they cannot fix) I am sharing this video to alert all 2015 Legacy owners to this issue. This is a serious safety & mechanical defect. Check your engines; conduct your own water/snow tests and share results. Contact Subaru of America, your dealer and the national highway traffic safety

- Feasterville, PA, USA

May 092015

I think there is a potential recall problem with eyesight-equipped 2015 Legacy models. I took my car in several weeks ago because one day all of the hazard lights came on, including the ABS light and the brake light (flashing red) on the speedometer gauge, the eyesight and the anti-skid light on the center console, and the check engine light, the adaptive cruise control light, and the lane departure light on the tachometer. I stopped driving it for two days while I waited for my service appointment day to arrive. The lights did not come back on when I drove it to the dealer. The service department kept my car for a day and said that the lights must have come on as an "attention getting device" to alert me that the car was about a quart low on oil (even though it was not quite yet time for my 6 month/6,000 mile oil change). After getting the recommended oil change, I drove the car without any problems for several weeks. This past weekend, the problem occurred again. All of the lights mentioned above came on and stayed on when I started it and pulled out of my garage. Based on my last experience, I drove the car anyway. Later in the day, when I turned the car on again, all of the lights once again came on and stayed on, except that this time the brake and the ABS lights were not illuminated. The car can be driven, but cruise control and associated features (lane departure, etc.) do not work when these lights are on. After driving the car with these lights on all day Saturday (including several complete shutdowns followed by restarts an hour or two later), the problem disappeared the next day, just as it did last month. I took pictures of my dash both times when the lights came on this past weekend. I can supply them on request. It has only been a few weeks and 1000 miles or so since my last oil change, so I think we can rule out that explanation.

- Stow, OH, USA