1997 Subaru Outback engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Subaru Outback:

1997 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Apr 132005

Outback LE

I had 2 subaru outbacks- 1997. We loved them in the snow- at first we had a couple complaints and the corporate number was no help- even spiteful-

A couple months ago one of the outbacks started overheating.. I had a new waterpump, thermostat, belt- all done and the problem persisted. I understood from 3 Subaru mechanics in various parts of the country that SUBARU has a problem with some of their engines- gases escaping into the coolant. I called Subaru at the 1-800-subaru3 number and they laughed at me saying there is no way they could help but give me maybe $500 loyalty cash toward a new subaru. "Grant" told me the area manager had said no- and that was it-- and he hung up on me. I have never been treated so poorly by other corporate people (Honda)- they always helped out on things like Springs that broke when they should not have- and paid most of the bill... I just put $2000 into this car with AC -belt-etc etc.. and am now told its dead. The dealer can get rid of it for me for $2650-- which I will probably take-- what a shame though it looks brand new- gets waxed every month- has the Michelin tires in good shape-- air just fixed- new belt etc... bummer.

The dealer has even offered a new car at cost... but If you get treated by the corporate people so badly- why would I stay with subaru?--- it's too bad- I actually talked a lot of friends into getting subarus-- something I now wish had not happened, but they don't maintain their cars like I do - and they have well over 200,000 on them- and mine is dead at 106,000- barely broken in - they say. I understand a used engine with 50,000 miles will cost me $2000, and a new short block would cost $3500... but I better cut while I can, and return to Honda. I will do everything that I can afford to be sure that I get even with Subaru, including considering buying space in USA today.. I'm not done with this by a long shot- they will be sorry they treated me this way-- not in a violent sense- can't do that- but in a lost business sense.. I work hard to be sure things are fair- and right now they are not... I have to devise a plan to get even... Can't picket the local dealer though- or where I bought it- they have been great..

- , Tucson, AZ, USA