$5,500.00

1. replace engine (1 reports)
2002 Subaru Outback engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Subaru Outback:

2002 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Aug 132009

Outback

Bought my Subaru Outback new in 2002. No big complaints but expensive for all regular service check ups. Car was out of warranty and I was 3 months past my service date and took a trip to Seattle. Coming back with family at night on highway and engine blew up. Needed to be towed to Us dealer. They said needed new engine or reconditioned one for about $6k. Called my dealer in North Van said have it towed back to us you don't know if the U.S. Dealer is reliable. Spent $400 to tow then my dealer said it was $12 k to fix or get new Subaru.

Called Subaru and told them engine light flickered twice (my fault) they said it was my responsibility to check the engine. I ended up getting engine with low mileage from wreckers and with installation costs me just over 6k. Still annoyed about this. Head gasket is gone now. I drove Saabs for years quite often not changing my oil for year or so never had a problem. I will not buy another Subaru.

- , Vancouver, BC, Canada