9.3

$2,000.00

1. head gasket replacement (3 reports)
2002 Subaru Outback engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Subaru Outback:

2002 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Oct 102014

Outback Limited 2.5L 4-cyl

After talking to our mechanic, an ex-service manager for Subaru, this has been a known problem by the dealers and the corporate idiots at Subaru. Yet they fail to inform customers of this. I guess I would have really not expected them to either. The cost to me is $2300-2500.00 plus the cost of a rental car and the inconvenience. Not to mention the fact that this probably will happen again. I sure would like to know who to contact at a government agency for this. Subaru should be raked over the coals for this costly of a problem to repair and I hope they get what's coming to them.

If I had known this much earlier I wouldn't have bought the 2005 Subaru we also have. I've now had 2 Subaru ex-mechanics/service managers tell me to look forward to another big bill for that vehicle as well. This is total BS. I can only hope that this website will help future buyers look elsewhere when they are thinking of buying a Subaru. For me I'm done with Subaru and will never buy another one of their vehicles. Anybody want to buy a 2005 outback with 63K miles on it?

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 032010

Outback 4 cyl

I bought Subaru based on Consumer Reports and word of mouth. Only to find I had a bad head gasket at 50K (3yrs ago), which was covered under warranty, but not comforting nonetheless. No, after another 50K+ the head gasket needs replacing again? A quick check with CR shows the 2002 and '03 4cyls have made a bad reputation for themselves for this and other engine issues.

- , Castle Rock, CO, USA

Dec 262006

Outback

Another Subaru Outback head gasket failure. This is the most I have ever spent repairing a vehicle. This seems to be a major problem with Subarus.

- , Hooksett, NH, USA