2003 Subaru Outback fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Subaru Outback:

2003 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Dec 182008

Outback

I own a 2003 Subaru Outback limited 2.5L. During extremely cold weather (20 degrees F or lower, ) the fuel lines leak where the rubber hose and clamp meet the metal pipe on the fuel rail for the intake manifold. This is a very dangerous condition since raw fuel is leaking onto the intake manifold and engine block. A source of ignition such as heat from the exhaust manifold or even a spark from static electricity could start a fire in the engine compartment. There is a technical service bulletin for the same problem, only for the Subaru impreza WRX. (tsb# 09-36-03). The Subaru Outback experiences the same leak even on the same short piece of hose on the passenger side of the engine. Subaru's tsb on this involves replacing the hose and intake pipe since in very cold weather they get misaligned allowing fuel seepage to occur. The same problem occurs on the Outback, although there is no tsb for it and the dealers fix was tightening the hose clamps which did not resolve my problem. I am concerned for my safety and other drivers of Subaru Outbacks in cold weather since raw fuel dripping on a hot engine could easily ignite. This problem still occurs for me everyday when the temperature outside drops below 20 degrees F.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA