2003 Subaru Outback wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Subaru Outback:

2003 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Mar 272006

Outback 4-cyl

1. events leading to failure: No abnormal events prior to failure (no tire visual indications, no sounds, normal steering and suspension behavior, no tire impacts). Tire pressure checked monthly and tires rotated regularly (~ every 8,000 mi). 2. failure and its consequences: A single oem tire (Bridgestone potenza P225/60R16 E92qz) with 43,700 miles lost all pressure due to failure of sidewall, with separation apparent around entire circumference of tire. Failure occurred while parked on level parking lot surface after driving 10 minutes at moderate speed. 3. what was done to correct the failure; I.e, parts repaired or replaced (and if old part is available): Intend to replace tire shortly. Old tire is available. Photos available.

- Lexington Park, MD, USA

Apr 182004

Two original equipment Bridgestone potenza tires on our Subaru 2003 Outback failed at 9,800 and 11,700 miles of use, within three months of each other. Both started as slow leaks for about a week, which we monitored and filled. Then suddenly a big white circular split appeared in the sidewall about an inch away from the tread, and tires were dead flat and ruined. First tire was driver-side rear; second was passenger-side front. When brought to Firestone dealer for warranty fulfillment for first tire, we were told it was our fault (?!) and we had to pay for replacement. Can't wait to hear explanation for second incident...but not sure I want another of these on my car. Local Subaru dealer says this is first he's heard about these tires, but I see three other complaints on NHTSA website specific to Subaru among the 92 "general" and 37 "sidewall" potenza complaints. Tire is P225/60 R1697H. Never saw anything like this in my 30 years of driving.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Aug 292003

Outback 6-cyl

While driving in a middle lane on I-270, I sudenly became aware of a bumping noise. I pulled over to the right shoulder through several lanes of traffic. When I checked the tires, I saw that the sidewall of my passenger side rear tire had become completely disattached from the tread. The tire was original equipment on my 2003 Subaru Outback. A Firestone dealer inspected the tire in detail, but could find no puncture or other cause of tire failure besides spontaneous disintegration. Firestone wanted $56 to replace it under warranty, after treadwear measurement, even though tire had only 6800 miles on it.

- Germantown, MD, USA