2005 Subaru Outback brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Subaru Outback:

2005 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Jun 162014

Outback 4-cyl

Subaru Outback 2005: The wire harness to the rear tailgate failed and shorted out the brake lights and reverse lights, creating a safety hazard while driving.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Dec 182013

Outback 6-cyl

On December 18, 2014 the day was clear; there had been no rain or snow that week. The pavement was dry. At the point of the issue I was in stop and go traffic, thus had used my brakes at an average of 12-18 times since I had left the house that morning. Traffic was maybe moving at 20-25 miles an hour, stop and go. At one point I went to apply my brakes at a normal pressure and they started to pulse in the ¿¿anti-lock¿ fashion. The pulses were exceptionally long, between braking (pulsing), nothing like I had ever experience before with this car or any other vehicle. However I kept my foot applied to the brake and did not try to pulse it myself. Before I was able to get the car stopped it hit the car in front of me. I had about 1 and ½+ car lengths between us, again only rolling and absolutely could not get the car stopped. The collision was not hard enough to deploy the airbag on either cars. The 2012 Ford escape in front had nearly no damage to the rear bumper, however due to the placement of the Ford¿'s bumper to my grill, my repairs were $5,534.67. My fear is it happening again. Due to the make of the car my insurance company can't access the electronic information on the day of the accident. Thus they will not be part of my complaint that I have filed with Subaru of America, filed 3/24/14. I done research on the subrau's ABS system. I found that people have been disconecting their ABS due to this issue. Including finding youtube videos on how to do it. The issue is obvious if this is what people feel safer with than the Subaru factory ABS system. Subaru's claim department has no interest in investigating it without my insurance being part of the claim, even thought I am a customer of their product that is defective. Obviously this is not a customers claims department. Who will handle my claim if the next incident I am severely injured or worse yet?

- Saint Charles, MO, USA