1.8

2006 Subaru Outback electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Subaru Outback:

2006 Subaru Outback Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 212012

Outback 6-cyl

While driving on interstate highway, vehicle lost engine power. Electric was still on. Gas pedal did not work. Cel and cruise control lights both blinking. Was able to maintain 15 mph on flat road, and barley any speed on incline. Got off highway near home and shut of engine. Waited and tried to start back up. 30 seconds of cranking, and nothing. Waited another minute and it started. Got home and pulled a P2138 code. Pulled wiring harness off gas pedal and reseated it. Reset the cel and everything has been fine since. Scary situation, especially at 65mph during thanksgiving eve rush-hour.

- Parsippany, NJ, USA

Nov 122012

Outback

I was driving when the accelerator pedal stopped responding. I couldn't accelerate or maintain speed. The check engine light was now on and the cruise control light was flashing. I pulled over and the idle was at 2,000 rpms and the accelerator pedal was still not responding. I turned off the engine for about 5 minutes. When I turned it back on, the accelerator was working but the check engine light was on and the cruise control light was flashing.

- Shoreview, MN, USA

Nov 282011

Outback 4-cyl

While driving on a limit access highway, the check engine light came on and the vehicle immediately went into "limp home" mode. This event nearly resulted in a high speed rear end collision.

- Newtown, CT, USA

Oct 212011

Outback 4-cyl

Incident happened at a red light in traffic at rush hour. After pulling up to a red light to a full stop, the light turned green and the throttle stuck open at exactly 2500rpm. The car accelerated from a dead stop and continued to do so with no input from me. The gas pedal does nothing at all. I had to apply brakes and move off the road to avoid traffic. Check engine light is solid and the cruise control light flashes.

- Gloucester, VA, USA

Dec 302010

Outback

After slowing to a near stop at the bottom of an interstate highway exit ramp, my car suddenly, and without warning, died and I lost all systems, including engine and power steering. All I was able to do was drift to the side of the road. Subaru initially believed that the ECM had failed. After replacing the ECM, it became apparent that that was not the issue. Subaru ultimately determined that the wiring harness housing had melted against the coolant crossover pipe, exposing wiring which was then shorting out. Subaru could give me no explanation as to why the wiring harness was installed against a hot component of my engine such that it would melt. Had this happened 1 minute earlier, I would have been on interstate 95 during rush hour traffic with a dead car. Given the suddenness with which my car died, it is likely I would have been involved in a serious accident.

- Millis, MA, USA

Jan 022010

Outback

I was using an aftermarket trailer wiring harness with my 2006 Subaru Outback wagon. The converter unit that plugged into the car wiring and converted it to the 4 flat configuration for my trailer failed by shorting out and caused a fire. Had I not realized what was going on quickly the car would have been a total loss. The trailer wiring harness is manufactured by draw-tite and has a model number of 17499-101. I attempted to contact draw-tite directly but have received no response. I was traveling with my 4 year old son at the time, and this incident caused us both to be scared, as any vehicle fire would.

- Hayfield, MN, USA