2006 Subaru Outback engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Subaru Outback:

2006 Subaru Outback Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Feb 062012

Outback 6-cyl

Engine lost power and had to pull to side of road. Retrieved error code P2138 (accelerator pedal position sensor) from (dlc) data link connector in car.

- West Union, SC, USA

Dec 052011

Outback 4-cyl

First occurrence 12/5/11. I was driving through a parking lot and check engine light came on as I lost the ability accelerate. I coasted to a parking space, shut my car off and was waiting for a tow truck. After and hour I turned my car back on and all seemed fine. I took it straight to the dealership where they found problem P2138, accelerator pedal assembly problem. They replaced the accelerator pedal. All seemed to be working fine. Second occurrence 1/21/12. I was driving along a side road, check engine light came on as I once again lost the ability to accelerate. Shut the car off, sat for a few minutes and turned it back on. I was able to drive but the check engine light was still on. I got my car home and hooked up the diagnostic computer to it and got the same P2138 code. I readjusted the wires connecting the accelerator and check engine light went off. My concern is that this problem is going to occur when I am driving on the highway. Obviously the replacement of the accelerator pedal is not the solution to this problem.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jun 022009

Outback

The contact owns a 2006 Subaru Outback. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle suddenly decelerated. The contact also stated that the check engine lamp and cruise control warning lamp illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic, who diagnosed that a sensor on the accelerator pedal needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 30,000 and current mileage was 58,000.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Nov 132011

Outback 4-cyl

I was driving at night at 55 mph in my 2006 Subaru Outback. The check engine light came on and the cruise control light started to blink. The accelerator pedal became unresponsive and it appeared that the car's engine went into idle mode. I was losing speed and decided to move my car to the shoulder of the road. I shut off my engine and waited a minute or two and tried to restart the car without success. A few minutes later I was able to restart the car and the accelerator pedal seemed to function normally, although the two warning lights were still illuminated. The next day I started the car a couple of times, the accelerator pedal functioned normally and both warning lights were no longer lit. The car operated normally for about one week. This indentical problem recurred again one week after the first incident. I drove my 2006 Outback to my independent Subaru mechanic who read the error code as P2138. He has seen several of his client's cars with this problem recently and recommended that I take my car to a Subaru dealer for inspection and repair. A few days later I had my Outback serviced at my local Subaru dealer. They diagnosed the problem as a faulty accelerator pedal sensor (integral to the pedal assembly) and confirmed the P2138 error code. The pedal sensor was replaced and (two days later) the car appears to be functioning normally again. The repair bill was about $320 for the parts and labor. I do believe this is a potential safety issue. Although both times the accelerator pedal became unresponsive I was on a road with very few cars and had no difficulty getting safely to the side of the road. The situation could have been more dangerous if I was trying to change lanes at high speed with lots of traffic around me.

- Boulder, CO, USA

Oct 212011

Outback 4-cyl

Incident happened at a red light in traffic at rush hour. After pulling up to a red light to a full stop, the light turned green and the throttle stuck open at exactly 2500rpm. The car accelerated from a dead stop and continued to do so with no input from me. The gas pedal does nothing at all. I had to apply brakes and move off the road to avoid traffic. Check engine light is solid and the cruise control light flashes.

- Gloucester, VA, USA

Jan 232006

Outback

2006 Subaru Outback. Hi, problem (1) head rest is so big that between the seat belt strap and the head rest there is no view to see vehicles about to pass in the left hand lane. Can result in side swiping when changing lanes. All the safety features in the world won't help if the end result of the feature is to cause injury or fatality. Safety problem (2) the speedometer. In order to make the instrument panel look "cute" you have destroy the ability to see what speed the vehicle is moving. No need to go to 140 mph to start with. The jumps between markings make it just about impossible to quickly determine the speeds 50, 60, and 70 mph and forget trying for 55,65,75. What do you intend to do about these two very serious safety problems on my 2006 Subaru Outback"????" I am "dead" serious about this and will search all possibilities for a remedy.

- Gloucester, MA, USA