2010 Subaru Outback seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Subaru Outback:

2010 Subaru Outback Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 122016

The contact owns a 2010 Subaru Outback. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V358000 (air bags). However, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lutz, FL, USA

Oct 112016

The contact owns a 2010 Subaru Outback. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V358000 (air bags) and 16V694000 (visibility); however, the parts for the recall repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The contact had not experienced a failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. Parts distribution disconnect.

- States Boro, GA, USA

Jul 092016

Tapatalk recall. Recieved recall notice from Subaru in July 2016 with warning not to have anyone in the passenger seat until repair is in effect. Subaru unable to complete repair to date. Excessive length of time that car can not convey front seat passenger.

- Nellysford, VA, USA

Jul 312016

It is completely unacceptable that a serious recall such as this does not yet have a remedy. I received notice months ago and still I have to drive around chauffeuring all of my family members as it is not safe to ride in the front seat-- completely impractical for a family and I'm assuming most Subaru owners have one (that's why I got one). I am very frustrated that there is not a solution. By the time there is one, I'm sure it will be impossible to get an appointment to take care of it.

- Mililani, HI, USA

Jul 222016

Takata recall. Notified of recall in July. Contacted my local Subaru dealer for remedy was told no parts available. Explained that in October my car was going to be shipped from Alaska to South Dakota (military permanent change of station) and unable to ship if any open unresolved recalls. As of today 9/27 I still have not gotten issue resolved. I cannot ship my vehicle and have no where to leave it in Alaska and no way to get to South Dakota. I have no transportation in South Dakota to get to work if I don't have my car. Need solution before I leave Alaska 11 October.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Jun 222016

Takata recall there are no parts available to repair my vehicle and it is unsafe to have passengers in the front seat. Huge inconvenience given that this is our family car!

- Manhattan Beach, CA, USA

Aug 012016

Takata recall I received a letter stating that my vehicle was subject to the recall for passenger airbags. I called my local dealer (burlington Subaru in burlington, vt) to see if they had an estimate on when it would be fixed. Contradictory to the letter that I received from Subaru (stating that they would be reaching out to me when they were scheduling appointments), my local dealer said that they were taking "pre-reservations" to get the vehicle fixed. I didn't call for several days after I received the recall notification because it did not seem time sensitive, but apparently that was the wrong course of action. My wife and I do not feel safe driving this car, and do not like the way that Subaru is handling this. We should be provided with a safe rental vehicle until they can make it right.

- Grand Isle, VT, USA

Aug 012016

Takata recall: I own a 2010 Subaru Outback and received a letter from Subaru regarding the NHTSA campaign number: 16V358000 (air bags). I spoke to my local Subaru dealer (in new london, ct) and they informed me that the part to do the repair was not yet available, and that they had no estimated time as to when the part would be available. I believe that Subaru has exceeded a reasonable amount of time to arrange for a recall repair. I have made the dealer aware of my frustration. I have not experienced a failure to date yet. And the VIN tool confirms parts not available on the Subaru website.

- Madison, CT, USA

Jun 102016

The contact owns a 2010 Subaru Outback. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V358000 (air bags). The part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- West Columbia, SC, USA

Apr 152010

Outback 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Subaru Outback. While seated in the front passenger seat, the air bag warning light failed to turn on. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 30. Updated 5/5/15 the consumer stated the air bag light would come on sporadically or fail completely when she is sitting in the passenger seat, due to her height and weight. The dealer noted it was an issue, but nothing could be done. Updated 05/12/15

- Whitehousestation, NJ, USA

Sep 012014

Passenger air bag sensor system is flawed. The air bag remains "off" when I am in the passenger seat. It will only show "on" when additional pressure is applied to the seat, which is unnatural to how a passenger will sit in the vehicle and does not offer protection in an accident. The seat back and seat are positioned as recommended in the owner's manual. There is nothing under the seat. Local dealership looked at the codes, reset them to zeros, and stated they did not find errors. A field service engineer provided further investigation in Nov 2014 and recommended a seat replacement if the problem persisted. After I followed up a few weeks later to report the problem was still there and to request a seat replacement, the engineer advised that a seat replacement would in fact not likely make a difference, and that the system was operating as designed. No replacement of the seat has occurred, and the problem persists--I do not have airbag protection as a passenger in this vehicle. Subaru agreed that I should feel safe in my vehicle, and offered the suggestion that I test and consider purchasing a newer Subaru model if it works for me. This is not an acceptable solution. I agree with NHTSA complaint 10328146 and would like to see Subaru properly investigate this problem and offer an acceptable solution--I.e., retroactively fix the airbag sensor to work at a lower weight threshold.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jul 232014

The passenger airbag is disabled when there is a passenger. On a trip to ga with my wife, who weighs 135 lbs, sitting in the passenger seat, the air bag light will indicate 'not enabled'. at times it will display enabled, then disabled all while driving. Shifting in the seat doesn't do anything. In summary sometimes its on, sometimes not. We took this to the dealer and their response is they were unable to duplicate with a mechanic (probably a heavier person) in the passenger seat. Their recommendation is to add weights(!!), replace the seat ($1400). Their recommendations are unacceptable. They did tell my wife there may be dust or the contacts may be faulty. I don't know why they couldn't check for dust or remove, clean and re-connect contacts. Nothing was mentioned about the switch. Big safety issue not to be taken lightly, especially by the dealer.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 012010

The front passenger air bag does not indicate 'on' predictably when I am seated. I am a 125lb woman. The airbag sensor sometimes comes on. Other times it remains off. Being an engineer, I spend time moving my weight distribution, seat back position, picking my weight up and reseating myself, and other factors trying to get the airbag light to turn on during long car trips. Sometimes this works, but it is unpredictable. On the last car trip the airbag remained off for our 4 hour drive even though I tried various positions. It scares me to think that the airbag is probably not going to work if we are ever involved in a crash. We have brought the car into the dealer and they say the airbag is working properly.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Feb 062014

Was driving on what appeared to be a clear, clean road at about 8 am the day after a snowstorm. My car started skidding off to the right side of the highway, when trying to turn wheel towards the left to straighten the car out, the car then started spinning around 360 degrees a few times until the car then rolled over to the left down the 100 foot ditch about 3 or 4 rolls before stopping. The drivers side airbag never deployed despite severe frontal and side damage. The car was totaled by the insurance company. I still have no explanation as to why this all happened. In searching the internet for answers, I found 2 recalls one dated 6/24/2010 which could involve the airbag, and one dated 5/11/2010 which involved the cvt cooler hose leading to a crash. If something failed in the car leading to my crash, I have the right to know. I have some injuries and am still not back to work. Are there any other cases similar to mine?

- Poughquag, NY, USA

Dec 172012

Outback 4-cyl

Traveling on icy road approx. 20mph or less in 2010 Outback 3.6 ltd. Very accustomed to driving severe mountain winter conditions & 8th Subaru among family members. Seatbelt, shoulder restraint in place on driver. Oncoming driver in mid-size to large truck lost control at high speed, crossed center line and impacted Subaru head-on, offset to left side of Outback & 2010 Outback was totaled. Subaru airbags did not deploy. Impact into front left side, crumpled hood up to windshield, which shattered. His hood was inside Subaru engine compartment, remained under Subaru hood along with other parts of his vehicle after vehicles were towed. Subaru radiator was pushed in at approx 45 degree angle, left wheel bent inwards, left front bumper gone back to tire and much more damage. His airbags deployed and Subaru's did not. Subaru driver hit head, knees, shins on interior parts of Subaru: Black eye, forehead hematoma, indentation & scraped, knees/shins bruised and scraped plus back/neck plus more scrapes/bruises and concussion. Thankful that his truck stopped up against driver side doorpost and didn't encroach into driver compartment but unbelievable that Subaru airbags didn't deploy. 5'6" & approx. 135 pounds. First of our Subaru to be in a crash and had no idea airbags wouldn't deploy.

- Steamboat Springs, CO, USA

Aug 062010

The passenger side airbag of our 2010 Subaru Outback will intermittently turn off when there is an adult in the passenger seat. We've brought the car to two Subaru dealers and they both have told us there's nothing they can do unless the system is broken when we bring the car to the shop because the car doesn't show a fault code.

- Georgetown, MA, USA

Sep 042012

Outback 4-cyl

I was involved in a head-on collision, traveling at 40 mph and the vehicles airbags failed to deploy.

- Landenberg, PA, USA

Jun 012011

Outback 4-cyl

The 'front passenger's frontal airbag off indicator' remains illuminated while my wife (who weighs more than 100 pounds) rides in this seat. (I.e., the airbag is not armed.) at best, the indicator (and the air bag) is intermittent, going on and off while we drive. Dealer has repeatedly tested the air bag sensor system and states it's working within specification. This is a serious safety issue that seems to be due to a faulty design, not a manufacturing defect.

- Mazomanie, WI, USA

Aug 022010

Outback 4-cyl

Almost every time I sit in the passenger seat the airbag sensor does not come on at first. I am a 5'2", 120lb woman. I have to wiggle and set on one cheek just right in the middle of the seat, sometimes lift myself up and then sit back down again to get the passenger airbag sensor to show on. When this happens there is nothing under the passenger seat as the dealership has blamed it on that. The service department has re-calibrated the sensor but I still have the same problem. Heavier people do not have this problem.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

May 152010

The contact owns a 2010 Subaru Outback. The contact stated that the passenger air bag off light would illuminate when the seat was occupied. The dealer made repairs to the air bag component and the bottom of the passenger seat was replaced. The failure persisted. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 2,700 and the current mileage was 3,500.

- Baltimore, MD, USA