2012 Subaru Outback seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Subaru Outback:

2012 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Mar 172015

Traffic stopped abruptly and my car (Subaru Outback) came to a stop. I was rear-ended by a semi (speed unknown but did significant damage to my vehicle) that pushed me into the vehicle in front of me. The vehicle in front of me was then pushed into another vehicle. The vehicle directly in front of me (Ford free star)had its air bag deploy. My air bag did not deploy and my head ended up hitting the steering wheel. I was diagnosed with a concussion. I am wondering if my air bag should have deployed in this type of situation?

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 182014

Outback 6-cyl

My Subaru was hit head on driver's side by another car going 35-40 mph. My Subaru's airbags did not deploy. Extensive damage in 13K range to frame and left front of car. I had extensive damage to right hand and shoulder in attempt to brace myself. Other car's airbags deployed. Other driver fled scene. Other car's insured, called car in, as stolen to police. Other party's insurance is denying coverage for accident to me, as driver/insured lied to police. Bodily injury of 50K requiring surgery and on-going pt..... updated 08/05/14 updated 08/19/2014..updated 02-10-15 updated 10/2/2015

- Mobile, AL, USA

Oct 292012

The contact owns a 2012 Subaru Outback. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, another vehicle crashed into the contact's vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. The entire front end of the vehicle sustained extensive damage, causing injuries to the contact's chest. The contact was transported to the hospital via ambulance. The police were notified and a report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a body shop. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and advised the contact to take the vehicle to an authorized dealer to have the air bag failure diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 12,000.

- Floyds Knobs, IN, USA

Jun 202012

Outback 4-cyl

Drove the car for approximately 45 minutes, made a quick stop with car turn off, when restarting car, air bag warning light came on and also the passenger side air bag light said it was off even thought their was an adult passenger on that side of the car. Light stayed on even after restarting car, readjusting seatbelts, etc. Drove with warning light on for about an hour, stopped for a minute, turned off car and when starting car, the warning light was off and the passenger side air bag said it was on. Took to dealer next day, got code dtc29. Occupancy detection system got recalibrated and zeroed and did not come back on.

- Lancaster, PA, USA