CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 Outback is showing an early trend of problems with hesitation when accelerating.

The vast majority of owners experiencing this problem have reported that Subaru has not been able to find the cause of the engine hesitation, or fix the problem.

Especially because this is a potential safety defect, we are flagging the 2014 Outback as a model year to watch out for.

2014 Subaru Outback body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Subaru Outback:

2014 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Mar 082015

Outback

I was pulling up to park behind a Toyota prius on a road that was partially covered with snow & ice. The wheels on the right side of the vehicle were on snow & ice and the wheels on the driver's side of the car were on dry roadway. I was driving slowly to park when the car suddenly accelerated into the rear bumper of the Toyota prius. The engine was racing wildly and my attempt to brake were ineffective. There was damage to the rear trunk & bumper of the prius and damage to the front of the Subaru. I suspect that the Subaru traction/speed/stability/electronic throttle controls had malfunctioned.

- Norristown, PA, USA

Jul 072014

Outback

The issue that concerns me involves the initial hood release that is located inside the car along the left side (driver's side). Specifically, on numerous, random occasions the toe of my right foot released the hood as I am pivoting to exit the car. A few times, I have noticed the hood is slightly released and I shut it. However, more often, I didn't notice the hood up slightly and started off on my trip. For example in September/October we made a round trip from milford, ct to bradenton, fl. And recently repeated the trip from milford. At least 6 or 8 times along I-95 I-10 or I-75, I noticed the hood was released and I had to pull over to the road side from a highway where the speed limit ranges from 50-70 mph. As I am sure you know, there is a secondary hood release that has to be manually released from the front of the car. However, should that secondary release fail, the hood would blow open while we were in motion and either blind our vision or blow off to only god knows where. I have called this matter to the attention of premier Subaru in branford, ct and asked that they inform Subaru. I haven't heard from either company.

- Milford, CT, USA

Aug 082014

Outback 4-cyl

Subaru Outback was started in a parking lot in order to cool interior down. Driver exited vehicle and walked behind and around to other side. Drive opened front passenger door retrieved an item and closed door. Driver then walked away a few yards in order to provide water for a dog. Driver heard a loud crash and turned around to find car had rolled backwards out of parking spot and hit a vehicle parked behind it. Car was still running and found to be in reverse. No one was in either car and no injuries. Both cars were damaged. Subaru Outback could not be driven. Car was parked on a very slight incline.

- Westerly, RI, USA