2015 Subaru Outback engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Subaru Outback:

2015 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Oct 012016

Outback

File uploaded below pictures #4 and #5 were not able to be downloaded which show closeups of the tire marks in the bark chips. #3 shows the complete tire mark in the bark chips.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Aug 152015

Outback

My 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5limited has had significant issues with sudden-acceleration.it will surge while foot is on brake usually at stop signs, red lights.it is becoming worse and more frequent.I am 100% sure that my foot is on the brake and the floor mat is not involved either.it is becoming increasingly dangerous and we have had no results after taking it to the dealer on numerous occasions as they state they can not reproduce the issue..it began 3 months after the car was purchased and is still happening a year later

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 012015

Outback

Cruise control (cc) caused what I thought at the time of the incident was unintended acceleration. Operation of cc is different from any cc I used in the past. The cc was already engaged and I was going about 40 mph on a highway. I decided to increase my speed, so I pressed the 'set +' button. After a couple of seconds when I reached 43 mph, I released the button. The car continued to accelerate to 70 mph. Luckily the highway was empty and I was able to disengage the cc. The problem is that the cc 'set +' (and 'set -') has 2 positions - pushing it half way increases your speed like a traditional cc, and pushing it all the way actually increases the set speed of your cc by 5 mph increments. Hence when I thought I was just accelerating to 43 mph, I was actually setting the cc speed to 70 mph. One of the option packages with the car adds this 5 mph increment 'feature'. the quick reference guide and the regular manual do not mention this 'feature' - it is only mentioned in one of the auxiliary manuals for the option package. I think under different circumstances that this incident could have turned out much worse than it did. The cc does not work like traditional cc, and the controls look like a traditional cc.

- Doylestown, PA, USA

Jun 042015

Outback

Unintended acceleration. When driving at low speeds--what would traditionally be 1st and 2nd gear (the car has a continually variable transmission)--and while keeping constant pressure on the gas pedal, the transmission changes the acceleration of the vehicle on its own in a process that feels like it can't find the right "gear", and it provides a "jerking" feeling (usually only a couple of "jerks"). yet the transmission is not just finding the right gear for a specific constant speed; as it shifts around, the acceleration changes and has, with constant pressure on the pedal, accelerated faster on its own. I have never felt less control of a vehicle as I have with this one.

- Phoenixville, PA, USA

Apr 182015

Outback

I was slowing pulling into a parking space and just straightening out the car when I heard a strange sound coming from the engine. Immediately after that I heard a very loud engine revving sound and then suddenly the vehicle shot forward like a rocket, went over the cement barrier and into the wall of a building. It seemed like a very high rate of speed, though the distance was only about 8 feet. The seat belt did not restrain me and my chest slammed into the steering wheel. It was determined later at the hospital that I had a cracked sternum and several broken ribs. I believe there was some sort of mechanical, electrical or software problem that caused this unintended acceleration, and the seat belt also was did not functioning as intended.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Mar 062015

Outback

Cruise control: When the cruise control (+/-) toggle switch on the steering wheel, which is used to set or change the speed setting of the cruise control, is pressed down to the minus or set side, it intermittently and in variable conditions either does not react at all (I.e. no change to the speed setting), flashes the speed setting on the screen display, but does not change it or more importantly it increases the speed setting and in some cases has caused the vehicle to accelerate while the driver is attempting to decrease the speed setting of the cruise control.

- North Attleboro, MA, USA

Feb 222015

Outback

I have 2015 Subaru Outback with eyesight and blind spot detection. I had stopped the vehicle in the driveway, about 10 ft from the garage, waiting for my husband to clean the floor. The engine was running. When my husband came out of the garage and signaled me to park the vehicle inside, I was about to move the vehicle slowly in the garage. However, the vehicle suddenly started like a bullet, as if it was trying to accelerate to that set speed, quickly. My husband heard the wheels screeching and the vehicle accelerating. He jumped on the side and survived by an inch or so. Within a fraction of a second, the vehicle hit the center support which supports the garage doors, then the snow blower and further struck the items kept against the wall between the house and the garage, before coming to a stop. It appears that, in addition to the brake I applied, eyesight may have helped stop the vehicle. I have been driving in the us for over 18 years without a single incident. Parking in the garage is the simplest of all the tasks. I strongly believe that the vehicle may have accelerated on it's own due to some malfunction.

- Parsippany, NJ, USA

Feb 082012

Outback

Accelerator suddenly became unresponsive resulting in complete slowdown to stop in traffic. Had to shut off vehicle and restart numerous time to get to safe location. Resulted in expensive fix and could have been disastrous if occurred during highway/heavy traffic situation. Apparently was a sensor of some sort. Happened a while ago, so date provided is approximate, but I just became aware of this site.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA