NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2004 Volvo S40 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Volvo S40:

2004 Volvo S40 Owner Comments

Aug 312016

My vehicle doors lock up and can't be unlocked due to faulty locks. No way to get door or doors to unlock. Which can cause death if involved in a roll over, submerged, or any major accidents. It can be any door on the vehicle. On mine it's my rear passenger door which my child sits next too in her car seat. I've read many other Volvo have this issue and very costly to repair. Volvo should be responsible as I have been told by a Volvo dealer mechanic that these S40 are very known to have this issue. For my experience of this happening is just driving home and parking. Tried to get my daughter out and it would not unlock. The key faubourg, the power lock switch and tried pulling on handle and nothing unlocks this door. I read that the lock actuators are the cause or its the wiring harness. I also have this problem in the trunk. Only the kid napped cord works to get the trunk to open. Please get Volvo to fix all there actuators before kids or adults get trapped and killed cause of their negligence

- Castle Rock, WA, USA

Feb 072010

When driving my car, he start going faster without pressing a gas pedal when I press the brake the car turn off, I put the gear changing on park and start the car again, the RPM start going crazy, the car have only 30000 miles.

- Opole, 00, USA

Dec 242008

The contact owns a 2004 Volvo S40. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle rapidly accelerated automatically. The vehicle would not slow down when the brake pedal was depressed. The contact had a difficult time pulling the vehicle over to the side of the road. The vehicle behind her notified her that the vehicle was on fire. Flames appeared while attempting to pull over the vehicle. The police department was notified. The vehicle was towed to her residence and then to the Volvo dealer. The tires and other equipment were damaged by the flames. The vehicle is currently being diagnosed by the dealer. The failure and current mileages were 65,000.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Dec 292006

Dashboard went crazy, fading in and out. All panels were unreadable, speedometer, radio, temperature gauge. Car accelerated on its own, without my foot on the pedal. Cd was shot into the backseat landing in my child safety seat. All of this occurred while driving on the highway. In all 3 instances the message indicator stated to not drive the car. I had the car towed to 2 different dealers. The first time they said it was the software and reinstalled. The second time, they replaced the alternator and the car was in the shop for over a week, the third time, the replace the cem module and radio. The the fourth time the car wouldn't read the key and had to be towed and they replaced the steering module. This car has been in the shop 3 times in less than 6 months for 3 electrical related issues the car only has 42,000 mile.

- Hudson, MA, USA

Sep 272006

S40 5-cyl

I was driving home at night when all of the gauges in my car went out completely. I had no speedometer, no gas reading, no engine heat meter, the message center was out, no turn signals. This is a 2 year old vehicle that was purchased brand new from Volvo in 2004. I had to drive home 60 miles on an extreme;Y dark road with no safety gauges- I couldn't call for roadside as I was alone and am a woman- I wasn't going to stop on the side of the road to wait for roadside. I was told by Volvo that it was the ddm module and the wiring harness- my electrical /computer system went bad. How is that possible in a brand new car" furthermore, I was 1,000 miles over the manufacturer's warranty of 50,000 miles- thus Volvo charged me $1,645. Within in minutes of driving the car after it was repaired- the service engine light came on. I was told that my software had to be upgraded and my throttle cleaned" I believe that the electrical/computer systems in these cars are no good.

- Glassboro, NJ, USA

Aug 102006

S40 5-cyl

The vehicle has the following intermittent electrical problems. Dashboard, radio, climate controls turn-off by themselves. Wipers activate by themselves. SRS warnings are displayed. Fuel door button does not activate. Ignition will not active so car will not start.

- Elmwood Park, IL, USA

Mar 152005

Consumer complained about electrical problems. The windshield wipers suddenly cut on and off at times; the power windows and doors did not work, and gas gauge always showed that vehicle had no fuel. Also, airbag light came on. Finally, the trunk did not open.

- Nogales, AZ, USA