2.2

2008 Volvo S40 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Volvo S40:

2008 Volvo S40 Owner Comments

Sep 052015

S40

2008 S40, car was placed in park and turned off while running errands, no problems. Came out of the store and placed the key into the ignition and received this error message, "turn steering, try start again." Prior to this, the car was completely operable. Removed the key and inserted key into the ignition again and nothing happened. I noticed the following: When the key is turned to 1 and 2, all dash light and headlights come on. At three, the headlights go off, the arm rest buttons go off and only check engine stays on. Once the key is released, all indicators and headlights come back on. Obd shows no codes. Turned the wheel all the way left and right, message persists. This has never happened before and I had a minor child with me in the scorching heat. Had the car towed and surprisingly the individual towing the car was a mechanic for years and stated the wheel was not locked at all, after moving the steering wheel to the left and right as well. This raises some serious safety concerns, as there were no prior warnings and the wheel was never locked and thankfully I was not not in motion.

- Westmont , IL, USA

Jun 202014

S40 5-cyl

My serpentine belt broke on 6/6/2014 and was replaced. On 6/20/2014 I was driving about 60mph on the interstate in Chicago, il when my vehicle stopped accelerating and eventually stopped. This nearly caused an accident on the interstate, but I was able to pull to the left shoulder before being struck. I had to have the vehicle towed to a shop where it was determined that when the serpentine belt broke, shards of that belt went in to the timing belt area. This is due to a flawed design on my make of Volvo. The timing cover is not sealed, allowing particles to enter this area causing severe damage and nearly causing an accident. I have 20 bent valves that now need to be replaced due to this design flaw. There is no technician service bulletin that would have notified mechanics to be aware of this potential problem when a serpentine belt breaks, so my mechanic would not have known to look for this, which would have prevented the almost $3,000 worth of damage. This caused my car to completely shut down in the middle of traffic, which could have resulted in not only my death, but potentially other fatalities. I have requested Volvo correct what has occurred due to their design flaw, and lack of public notification but they have not agreed to do so. This is a known concern at the local Volvo dealership level, as my mechanic contacted a local Volvo dealership in orland park, il and was advised by the mechanic that they are seeing this issue on not only my model, but other Volvo models as well. This problem, if it is not known to mechanics, can and did cause a complete loss of power in the vehicle. This increases the risk of a crash or potential fatality. As you can tell, I have few miles on my vehicle for it being 6 years old, so there is no reason for having to replace 20 valves in the engine, other than due to the design flaw. Thank you so much for your time.

- Chicago, IL, USA