2002 Volvo S60 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volvo S60:

2002 Volvo S60 Owner Comments

Jun 112012

S60 5-cyl

The car continues to have shift flares and slippage when shifting up from 1 to 2, 2 to 3 or shifting between the same gears.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 122011

S60 4-cyl

From around Oct. Of 2011 I have been experiencing trouble with my throttle body or as Volvo calls it 'electronic throttle module'. these problems include but are not limited to, stalling at freeway speeds, rough starting/ not starting at all, reduced engine performance not allowing for safe speed to be maintained, costly repair work with no improvement, and bouts of self accelerating at stops with parking brake and foot brake engaged. I have research a Volvo recall/ warranty extension for a defective throttle body, contacted Volvo customer service only to get the run-around. Various web forums encourage owner experiencing these problems to file complaint with NHTSA to help come to a resolution.

- Lodi, CA, USA

Aug 152011

S60 5-cyl

Volvos-60 24T took car to dealer bill gray Volvo for electrical problem and transmission problem. Car was returned to me with air bag passive restraint system inoperable and dealer refuses to correct problem or to even accept responsibility for same.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 302010

I was stuck in high way traffic for about 45 minutes, once the traffic cleared I tried to accelerate but could not, I was afraid I was going to get hit because I could not get my vehicle up to a safe speed (the vehicle went into limp mode). I was able to get the car to at least 50 mph to get it home. This now happens within approx 1-2 miles of driving. Due to the hi cost of repairs for this vehicle I had the diagnostics done first (cost $90), the result was a bad mass-air sensor and faulty throttle position sensor. I had the mass-air sensor replaced at a cost of $140, I then had the throttle positioning sensor cleaned ( this is what the dealership will do first, because of the hi cost involved in replacing the throttle body & programming it) at a cost of $180. The cleaning did not work and therefore the throttle body needs to be replaced and programmed at a cost of $800.

- Inkster, MI, USA