2012 Volvo S60 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volvo S60:

2012 Volvo S60 Owner Comments

Jun 132016

The car is using oil like crazy. Going thru 3-4 quarts every 2000 miles. Started at 40541 when serviced, they noted it was a quart low. I am now at 79000. & the problem has just gotten worse. I spoke to dealer about this & they acted as if they had no idea what it could be or why. They agreed to do oil consumption test (they said was the next step in protocol) when I told them that I had read that this was a major problem & I had copy of the service bulletin that had been issued. They even told me mine was not included, that the T6 models were the ones with the issue. That is not true. Took it back again after 2000 miles & I was barely showing any oil on the dipstick but they told me to bring it in & not to add oil. I didn't want to drive it this low. I get it over to the dealer which is 40 min away. They checked it & gave me a loaner but made me pay $150. I asked what this was of since they said the loaner would be provided for free & they said it was "tax". it has been 7 days & I haven't heard anything. They haven't touched my car. They called after 5 days & said that they were waiting to hear from their rep. I don't know if I should call Volvo North America myself, or give the dealer more time. I don't have much faith in them at this point. I feel they act secretive & won't be honest about problems. I hope they prove me wrong & restore my faith in Volvo. I was so excited to buy a Volvo & was looking forward to having this car for a long time. I was even considering getting a Volvo SUV. This is a problem that many are having. It seems to be the piston & rings. Some have had to have new engines bc the piston & rings didn't help.

- Palmyra, IN, USA

May 162016

My 2012 Volvo S60 is using one quart of oil for every 900-1000 miles. This is too much. I was told that it was the piston rings that are bad.

- Jackson, TN, USA

May 062016

2012 Volvo S60. Vehicle is at 64,114 miles. About a week ago, my check engine light came on and I noticed a high pitched whistle coming from the engine when driving. I took the car to the mechanic and he stated that a rubber diaphragm in the oil trap had ruptured causing the vehicle to go on full vacuum and in-take too much air and oil. In fact, it was taking in so much oil that the oil was nearly depleted. He stated that he has seen similar issues with Volvo in the past. Approximately 6 months ago, I took the vehicle into the dealer for an oil service. At that time, he stated that the engine's oil was almost depleted. I'm now beginning to suspect that the broken diaphragm is related to that issue as well. I've seen other complaints regarding depleted oil (and the lack of a driver notification due to a malfunctioning oil sensor). This could potentially be the root cause of the oil depletion in these other cases as well.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 302015

1) power steering fluid leaking constantly since purchasing car at 52K miles; diagnosed as rack and pinion failure 2) engine light came on and engine made whistling noise at 60K miles while driving; diagnosed as PCV failure

- Brighton, MI, USA

Nov 242015

The contact owns a 2012 Volvo S60. The contact stated that while driving at 55 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who stated that there was no engine oil in the vehicle and diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the low oil pressure warning light failed to illuminate. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 86,111.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Jan 232015

The engine had a sudden loss of power and engine was struggling to crank. The engine showed signs of hesitation making it hard to maintain speed on the highway. This was later found out to be due to no compression in cylinder #3. the valves, valve guides, and bearings in the engine were destroyed by overheating due to low oil pressure. A vehicle software recall was known at the time to cause this oil pressure problem. The engine was about 3 years old and at 68,540 miles.

- Patterson, NY, USA

May 202015

My 2012 Volvo S60 had serious engine noise brought to the shop they thought it might of been the fact that I had low oil, but I had just gotten my oil changed 12/17/14 and it was 5/27/15 now and I had not driven anywhere close to 6 thousand miles to deplete all the oil. The shop told me to really figure out what was going on they would have to take out the engine to take a look at what was making the noise. That evening I got a call from the shop again telling me that there was a serious problem. They told me because my car was dangerously low on oil in fact 3 quarts low that the engine for that fact had not gotten any oil, this in turn cased the barring and the crank shaft the be damaged so bad that they shop to me that if basically beyond repair and I would need to get a new engine. Upon researching the internet I came across a string of recalls for my car, it stated that the Volvo's software had a problem which prevented the low engine oil light from coming out and in December 2013 they started a recall. I check the website and got the number to Volvo of North America and called and was told that my car was one of the vehicles that was recalled. I was also told that they problem was fixed by a simple software update. I was also told that in their records my car was taken into Volvo and the update was applied to my car fixing the problem. I told the representative on the phone that if this was the case then it must of not worked because my car was in the shop with the exact same problem that Volvo's website described and also no "low engine oil" light ever came on.

- Ponte Vedra, FL, USA

Jan 042015

TL-the contact owns a 2012 Volvo S60. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the low oil warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the four quarts of oil were emptied but the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 47,100. Djr

- Hanensack , NJ, USA

Apr 232014

S60 5-cyl

On the April 23, 2014, my husband was driving and the car shot out at high speed he didn't realize what happened. On April 24, 2014, I was in my driveway in park as I put the car in drive to slowly enter my garage the car took off at high speed tires spun left tire marks on my pavement and I hit the brakes in garage not to hit the wall and left marks there as well. My neighbors were right there witnessing this scary experience. I called corporate immediately they told me to get it to the dealer. I called a tow truck and the tow truck driver took the keys to slowly drive it onto the flatbed and the car again took off at high speed and almost flew off the tow truck! also, the push button start button was a problem, ever since the vehicle was leased. Updated 07/28/14 updated 10/27/2014

- Parkland, FL, USA